INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help: QUestions about sharing media on a home network  (Read 1575 times)

olarte

• World Citizen
Help: QUestions about sharing media on a home network
« on: April 07, 2006, 09:41:06 pm »

A couple of questions about shared files\libraries

1. What is the best way to share files on the home network for our family?

I like the idea of using a media server but the when you exit the kids loose any playlists etc...

Is there anyway they can keep their own lists and still run off the server?

And in server mode, can't they still delete files?

if not I'm thinking of setting them each up with their own local library pointing to a central drive that contains the data.

2. Could it also be possible to have everyone open the same library on the same drive as the media, (3 pcs) or will there be a sharing problem, or possible corruption of the library.

3. Is there a way to prevent them from deleting files, or changing tags?

I like Party mode, but again, they will loose playlists when they exit...  otherwise party mode would be perfect.

Both Server Mode, and Party mode have the problem of loosing playlists...

olarte

• World Citizen
Re: Help: QUestions about sharing media on a home network
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 11:15:13 am »

2. Could it also be possible to have everyone open the same library on the same drive as the media, (3 pcs) or will there be a sharing problem, or possible corruption of the library.

Thanks LisaRCT I thought of that the only problem is that we use a combo of Xp pro, XP Home and the share permissions don't seem to work right sometimes.

THe other SIMPLE alterntative that would solve this would be to enable party mode (which would not allow deletion etc) but they can't save playlists which they want.

iv'e requested that this be added as it would be perfect... lock not only the files but MC itself ie. not changing tags etc... but still be able to save playlists...

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 11:35:31 am »

Hi LisaRCT

I took your suggestion and did a bit of testing...

I can't set up specific rights on the home network BUT i can share the folders and uncheck the "allow network users to change files" flag.

The effect is that the kids will be able to change\delete mess up in their own libraries but it will not alter the tags, remove files etc...  Since MC does not seem to complain until you exit.

For example if I choose  Permanently remove files etc... it will look like it did in MC but they are not really gone.  Same with Tags they can change album names etc... upon exit you get an error but as far as the library is concerned the changes are there.

It's not too bad (short of simply adding playlists to party mode). as they can't mess the original files or tags.

Worst case scenario they will mess up their own library and we can just fix this by re-importing the folders to MC, or updating the library from the tags.

I can map the same folder with a different sharename that does have permissions if I want to update files etc... and go back to the restricted sharename for their own use.

Thanks

runemail

• World Citizen
  • Soft Rock
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 02:10:57 pm »

I have a similar setup.

I use the same (mapped) driveletter m: on all machines, I save a backup of the library to the m: drive and all machines can restore from this backup without importing from each machine every time.

It would be nice if mc could schedule auto imports every night...

olarte

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 02:27:44 pm »

:D I figured the best way to have "admin" access and "kid" access without messing up the pointers etc.

1. On the media drive I have a directory f:\Media

2.  I created a Share on the root of f:\ called Data that allows files to be changed over the network.

3. I created a 2nd share on f:\Media that does NOT allow files to be changed over the network.

4. For Admin Access I map M: to f:\Data

This points to the Root of f: so I do the following:

Net Use m: \\mediapc\data\Media
     (which ends up pointing directly to the media directory with full access)

5. For "Safe or Kid" access I Map M: to f:\Media  instead of the root so I do:

net Use M: \\mediapc\media (which is the restricted sharename)
     (this ends up pointing to the Media directory via the restricted share not the data root share which has full accces).

6. MC will see it the same way as both pointers are to M: the only thing that changes is to be able to (or not) to change files on the directories in M:

7. I do this from all pcs even the one that has the actual drive, to avoid any confusion. So even on that PC although the data is on f: doing the net appropriate net use command for M: works, and makes it consistent.

Hope this helps others in the same boat.

Now I have to figure out how to deal with Thumbnails so they don't get recreated too often, I saw a good post somewhere about this, now I just have to understand that and try it out.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 03:32:55 pm »

Additionally, you can disable tag writing in MC options. Then MC would not display tagging error messages.  (Options > General > Update tags when file info changes)

This thread has some instructions for using bat files and scripts for copying the library data:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=32484.0
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up