Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: S/PDIF  (Read 1499 times)

Griff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
S/PDIF
« on: April 07, 2006, 10:07:13 pm »

Optical vrs. Wired.

Anyone, know of a sound quality Diff., between these two ?

Thanks

Griff

LesC

• World Citizen
Re: S/PDIF
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 03:32:46 am »

i prefer s/pdif. the difference between the two would go into the brand/model.. etc.

phsingl

• Recent member
  • Paul Singleton - New York's only Port Vale Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 05:02:59 pm »

some people think that optical introduces the potential for jitter - consensus is that if you go optical then you need to make sure you have a decent glass fiber cable & keep the run reasonably short (i.e. less than 10 feet).

On the other hand a coax connection is going to electrically anchor your 'noisy' pc to your processor/amp, which may introduce ground loops and or other unwanted problems...

I've used both but settled on coax (1M) with a M-Audio Audiophile 192 card in the PC and m-audio's ASIO drivers. PC and Processor & amps are all on the same circuit with a Tripp Lite 3100 power conditioner. I've had no noise issues with the coax connection.

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 08:52:02 am »

some people think that optical introduces the potential for jitter - consensus is that if you go optical then you need to make sure you have a decent glass fiber cable & keep the run reasonably short (i.e. less than 10 feet).

On the other hand a coax connection is going to electrically anchor your 'noisy' pc to your processor/amp, which may introduce ground loops and or other unwanted problems...

I've used both but settled on coax (1M) with a M-Audio Audiophile 192 card in the PC and m-audio's ASIO drivers. PC and Processor & amps are all on the same circuit with a Tripp Lite 3100 power conditioner. I've had no noise issues with the coax connection.

Hi,
I have the same M-Audio card and setup as. Have you been able to properly play DTS files through it? I finally got mine working but I get about .25 seconds of hiss at the beginning of each DTS track before the M-192 automatically switches to DTS (Data) mode. M-Audio's tech support was useless, they told me to try another digital processor. But I just don't have another few thousand dollars lying around to try that. :)
Jim

phsingl

• Recent member
  • Paul Singleton - New York's only Port Vale Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 09:59:37 am »

Hi,
I have the same M-Audio card and setup as. Have you been able to properly play DTS files through it? I finally got mine working but I get about .25 seconds of hiss at the beginning of each DTS track before the M-192 automatically switches to DTS (Data) mode. M-Audio's tech support was useless, they told me to try another digital processor. But I just don't have another few thousand dollars lying around to try that. :)
Jim
Jim
I've only just switched to this setup from an optically based connection (it didn't support ASIO and was causing issues with kernel streaming hence I moved to the M-audio card). I was reading through some of the threads over the weekend (whilst re-encoding 500+ CDs in .ape lossless!) and it seems there are a number of tweaks required to get DTS playback. I also have about 25 movies ripped to .VOB so I'll probably start on that once I've got the audio side of the equation complete.
cheers, Paul.

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 02:20:38 pm »

I also believe there is a bandwidth limitation with most s/pdif toslink connections.

toslink = 96khz max
coax = 192khz max

Pages: [1]   Go Up