INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calculated fields  (Read 1813 times)

darichman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Calculated fields
« on: October 01, 2004, 08:19:25 pm »

I would like to make a custom field that uses conditional logic so that for multiple artist albums it would display: [Album] - [Name]
And for single artist albums: [Artist] - [Name]

This way I could also organise movie soundtracks properly:
eg if [Genre] = soundtrack, display = [Movie] (a custom field)

Just wondering if I can do this in MC11 and if so what logical strings would I need to use?

darichman

• MC Beta Team
Re:Calculated fields
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 05:54:40 am »

I guess what I'm asking is how can I create a calculated field that will display:
    [Parameter A] - [Name] if there are values for Parameter A but  
    [Parameter B] - [Name] if there are no values for Parameter A.

Any suggestions?

Dragyn

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 05:24:57 pm »

don't think so. you would have to create each individual field entry in a new field for that track.

the only thing that resembles something like you mentioned is Album Artist (auto) where it will choose what to display based on album info. But again, this is just for that and not anything like Genre's..

I could be wrong though...it has happened before.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 09:36:39 pm »

Darn. That's a shame. Any chance something like this could be implemented?

In winamp, for example, you can type something like:
   $if(A,B,C)   If A contains valid entry, field will return B. Otherwise, will return C.

This way you can completely customise the display, depending on different file/media types genres etc.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 02:45:25 am »

Darn. That's a shame. Any chance something like this could be implemented?

In winamp, for example, you can type something like:
   $if(A,B,C)   If A contains valid entry, field will return B. Otherwise, will return C.

This way you can completely customise the display, depending on different file/media types genres etc.

Absolutely agree. MC has got to the point where it accepts so much media that a way to conditionally customise the display would be very welcome.

bbrip

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 06:38:31 am »

THe way darichman has described it above would be absolutley perfect for my purposes as well!

Would be great to get these capabilities in one of the coming updates

BB

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 10:02:06 pm »

Been thinking about this for a bit. It would be great if, for a calculated field, you could enter a number of conditions and various output results if these are true or false. These conditions could be arranged in priorities.

Conditions could be entered (and corresponding output values defined) in a manner similar to that for creating smartlists. If the first condition is met, the corresponding output value could be displayed in that field. If the first condition is not met, the second condition/output would be used and so on.

For example: Condition 1: genre = soundtrack
                      Output 1: [Movie (a custom field)] - [Name]
                      Condition 2: mediatype = image
                      Output 2: [Event] - [Name]
                             etc etc

So, say I have a track from the Meet Joe Black soundtrack. It makes more sense for me to want to see the [Movie] and not the [Artist]. So MC would recognise that genre=soundtrack and display [Movie] - [Name]. It would not, however, do this for a Linkin Park track, for example, where it makes more sense to display [Artist] - [Name]

This would give us a lot more control over the way we view our library, especially considering a lot of people have media in many different formats/genres etc.

Would something like this be all that hard to implement? I mean it could just be as simple as nested conditions or something. What do you think?

EpF

Re: Calculated fields
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 03:40:25 pm »

I know this thread is ancient, but I just stumbled across it in a search on expressions, so for those who are interested, the following should do what darichman wanted in the first post:

If(IsEqual(Mid([album type]), S), [artist] - [Name], [Album] - [Name])

;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up