INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subwoofer DSP effect questions  (Read 1803 times)

Myron

• World Citizen
Subwoofer DSP effect questions
« on: April 12, 2006, 02:23:40 pm »

I'm looking for some details about the behavior of subwoofer bass-boost DSP effect:

1) Is this fixed filter function or does it somehow adapt to the music content?

If it's a fixed filter then:

2) What is the basic shape of the filter (i.e. shelving, tuned bandpass, etc.)?
3) What is the corner frequency (or frequencies) for the various settings?
4) What is the maximum boost amplitude for the various settings?

If it's not fixed, then what's the operating principal?

I suppose I could try to measure this, but it would take some time.  I'm hoping there's a technical desription of the filter available.

TIA for any help....

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Subwoofer DSP effect questions
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 03:11:32 pm »

Sorry, but there aren't technical write-ups for DSP plugins. 

Our DSPs are 32-bit, use high-quality filtering mechanisms, and are often tuned by ear.

If you want parametric equalization where you're in control of frequencies and slopes, you may be able to use the DirectX DSP host with a plugin inside of Media Center.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jgreen

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 03:32:30 pm »

FWIW, I've been using the ParamEQ within the DirectX host and had great success with it.  I believe there were some posts that imply it's not as stable as one would hope, but I haven't seen any problems.  I highly recommend the DirectX host, at least for the onboard functions.

I also think the DSP studio offers a great set of options and the settings are quite intuitive. 

Myron

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 09:49:09 pm »

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry, but there aren't technical write-ups for DSP plugins.

Our DSPs are 32-bit, use high-quality filtering mechanisms, and are often tuned by ear.

Is there nothing more you can add about the characteristics of the subwoofer filter?

I'm not at all concerned about quality - J River is very good at delivering a good product.  Besides, if a system needs the subwoofer EQ, it's already compromised.  I'm looking to use the effect for my outdoor speakers which are small and need some help at the low end.

I'd really like to understand at least the basic nature of the transfer function.  I'm just looking for a basic low end boost, preferably shelved, that only works below a chosen frequency.  Just what a bass tone control does, only much lower in frequency than what's typical on many receivers.

So if the subwoofer effect does this, then I'm done.  If not, I need to look further.

It almost sounds like I'm getting into proprietary waters here and I really hope that's not the case....

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 10:24:33 pm »

Listen to it.
Does it create the sound you're looking for?

Myron

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 10:32:40 pm »

If you want parametric equalization where you're in control of frequencies and slopes, you may be able to use the DirectX DSP host with a plugin inside of Media Center.

Just looked at the DirectX parametric EQ.  It only goes as low as 80 Hz, which is useless for me.

BTW, anybody know what the units of the bandwidth setting are?  The 1-36 range doesn't make much sense - too big to be even 1/3 octaves. 

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 02:39:26 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up