INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ Server as an NT Service  (Read 1674 times)

andrewc

MJ Server as an NT Service
« on: June 27, 2002, 01:27:38 pm »

Has anyone setup the MJ Server to run as an NT service?  That would mean I don't need to be logged into my home machine when I want to listen to music at work.

Also, any chance of porting the server (or the whole thing) to linux?  My music file server is a RH 7.3 server.  I'd actually prefer to run the MJ server there and just windows as a client.

Andrew

CL Gilbert

RE:MJ Server as an NT Service
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2002, 10:53:03 am »

I second everything he has said except my file server / domain server / everything server is Redhat 7.2.

I'd love a linux server for this, but I realize that is far fetched.

But I would love for it to run as a windows service since my winXP box is always on anyway because of my faxes, and my Linux bos is always on because its my PDC, and my Gaming box is also always on now because it serves my MJ files.

Thats just 2 many computers on.  My wife at anytime could log onto windows and would shut down MJ if I let it run onXP.

Sure XP could do it if I wasn't part of a domain.  Solve one problem, create another...

CL Gilbert

RE:MJ Server as an NT Service
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2002, 12:26:05 pm »

Got firedaemon.  Its da bomb.  So many uses...

ShockValue

• Recent member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: MJ Server as an NT Service
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2002, 05:11:17 pm »

Has anyone actaully gotten FireDaemon and Media Server to work together properly?

I tried setting it up, and FireDaemon SAYS Media Server is running as a service, but as far as I can tell, it hasn't started.  (Can't connect to it, and netstat -an shows that the port I chose isn't being used.)

But when I run Media Server normally it loads up just fine (so I know the media server config is OK)

I've tried restarting, and rebooting.. But no change.

If you have gotten it working, can you also post your XML file that FireDaemon creates? :)

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2002, 05:45:55 pm »

It starts in a different user context when run manually than when run as a service.   The options might not be set correctly.

The first time you start it, start with the "Interact with desktop" flag SET, then start it.  When the Media Server window comes up, make sure your settings are all correct and that "Automatically start sharing..." is SET.  Now close the window then stop the service.  The order is important.  If you stop the service it will force the Media Server closed and it may not save its settings.

Now unset the "Interact with desktop" flag and restart the service.

Check netstat and the task list to make sure it's there.

Remy

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

ShockValue

• Recent member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2002, 05:48:51 pm »

I'll give it a shot and get back to you, thanks for the reply!

Ok, I have the "Interact with desktop" checked and the window type "normal" (tried maximized too) and nothing happens when I start the service.. No windows appear at all.

What am I missing?
Pages: [1]   Go Up