INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC10 to MC11 upgrade didn't import  (Read 786 times)

NetMage

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
MC10 to MC11 upgrade didn't import
« on: April 23, 2006, 03:21:11 am »

I had MC 10.0.173 installed. I copied my data files and installed MC 11. It didn't import anything from MC10. When asked about uninstalling MC10, I told it not to remove library files, but let it remove registry entries. I installed MC 11 in Media Center 11 folder, where MC 10 was in Media Center folder (under Program Files).

Uninstallled 11, re-installed 10, restored data files. Made a MC 10 backup. Installed 11 again - this time did not remove MC10 registry entries, nor MC 10 library files. Installed MC 11 in old Media Center directory. Again 11 did not import anything.

Gave up on that, removed 11, re-installed to Media Center 11 folder, restored from backup.

Why doesn't a 10 to 11 upgrade work correctly?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MC10 to MC11 upgrade didn't import
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 06:08:48 am »

Why doesn't a 10 to 11 upgrade work correctly?

This is a good question.

I have found that it is best to backup everything, remove the old version completely, install the new version and restore the libraries and the cover art folder. Restoring the cover art folder is not exactly straightforward. By default the MC10 cover art folder is located in the MC10 program path and the library files contain a link to the old location. The only way to avoid relinking the cover art files is to recreate the old [MC10 program path]\Data\Cover Art folder.

IMHO, the JRiver team should have one more look at this. The process should be transparent for the user. MC11.1 should move the default library and the default cover art folder from the old default locations to the new default locations and adjust the database accordingly. Also, all other previous libraries should be automatically converted to the current format and listed in the Library Manager after the upgrade. Finally, MC should automatically convert the saved view presets (columns and sorting) to the new format instead of abandoning them.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up