INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: List only files present  (Read 1528 times)

KenReeder

• Recent member
List only files present
« on: April 22, 2006, 11:14:21 am »

Hi.
In MC 11.1.175, is there any way to set MC to NOT display the library information for music files that are not currently on the computer?
Thanks, Ken

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: List only files present
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 12:23:48 pm »

where would they be located?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

syserror

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 01:55:02 pm »

Are you talking about the same thing I am on http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33347.0 ?  ie. via UPnP (or another PC accessing it via Library Server, which would probably have the same problem), you don't want content on removable media to appear since its playback causes problems.

KenReeder

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 02:42:58 pm »

where would they be located?

Offloaded to an external hard drive to make room on my internal one.

Are you talking about the same thing I am on http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33347.0 ?  ie. via UPnP (or another PC accessing it via Library Server, which would probably have the same problem), you don't want content on removable media to appear since its playback causes problems.

Yes, I believe I am talking about some related issues. I have ripped and modified tags extensively for some of my media files and I don't want to repeat any of my work. I would like to just copy the files to my external drive and then have the information for those files not show up in MC. Later, when I want to listen to them again those files again, it would be great if I could simply copy them back to my computer and have them just "show up" in media center again. Is this possible? If necessary, I could add the location of these files on the external hard drive so it knows these files still exist when I scan for media.

On a related matter, when I do a media scan and it finds that files are gone and removes the links, does it also delete the information from the library about these files (I previously spent hours entering) or is this information retained?

Thanks, Ken

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 02:58:37 pm »

why don't you use Filename (Path)="C:\" in your search or what ever your internal drive is you want files from this will exclude all other drives.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 10:43:38 am »

Hi.
In MC 11.1.175, is there any way to set MC to NOT display the library information for music files that are not currently on the computer?
Thanks, Ken

Yes.  I have this set up for many of my view schemes.  I have a lot of video files that don't live on the main file server (but are on discs).  Sometimes I want to be able to see those, and sometimes not.  What I do is add a "search" to the view schemes where I don't want the external media to show.

For example, if the stuff you don't want to show is all on removable media, you can search for that.

1. Select (in the tree) the View Scheme where you want to add the filter, right-click, choose Edit View Scheme.
2. Under Step 4, click the little "Down Arrow".  Choose More Fields, then Removable.
3. In the dialog that appears, set Equal to 0 and set Behavior to "Include".  This will include any file where the field "Removable" is equal to 0 (which means non-Removable).

If you wanted to exclude a particular drive, you could choose Volume Name as your filter, check the box for the Volume you want to exclude, and change the behavior to "Exclude" (instead of Include).

You can combine the filters as well (just add another one), and the searches can be quite complicated.  By default, if you apply a filter to a Parent View Scheme, it will automatically apply to any "children" of that scheme.  This is how only Audio files show up below "Audio" in the tree.  If you happen to want a scheme "exempted" from the searches of it's parents, you can uncheck the "Honor parent scheme search strings" option in the Edit View Scheme dialog.

I often find that I want the same View Scheme both with and without "Removable" media showing.  What I usually do is Copy the View Scheme into itself (in the tree, drag the View Scheme's Icon away for a short distance, and then drop it onto itself.  Then choose "Copy" from the pop-up that appears.  This will give you a new view scheme "inside" your previous one.  I then rename this to "Local Only" and add the Removable=0 search to the new "inner" view scheme.  This is nice because they are co-located and use the exact same panes structure (and any "parent searches" you have applied will trickle down to the new child view scheme).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

syserror

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 08:28:31 pm »

I've long used a custom view with 'removable=0' in MC itself.  Such a view isn't seen over at least UPnP server, however; only a default unified view of all audio media appears there.

KenReeder

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 10:35:47 pm »

Great! Thank you VERY MUCH for your input on this matter. It sounds like just what I was looking for.
Ken

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 10:35:28 am »

You can also use the rule:

[=IsMissing([filename])]=0

in viewschemes or smarltists. But beware, the first time you enter that viewscheme/smartlist,  each time you load the software, MC has to calculate what's on your hard drive, and it takes about 3mins of seeming inaction and unresponsiveness inside the program (on my 1ghz laptop) before you'll see your list of files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up