INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Safe Mode" suggestion.  (Read 1694 times)

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
"Safe Mode" suggestion.
« on: April 23, 2006, 05:43:06 pm »

If Media Center crashes and it gives you the options to disable
all plugins etc, it would be nice if instead of permanently disabling
everything you could just enter a safe mode, as a trial run.
If you discover that nothing is achieved by safe mode then next
time Media Center is run it would resume normal operation
with plugins and skins etc.

jgreen

Re: "Safe Mode" suggestion.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 11:55:46 am »

I agree it "would be nice" (although not urgent), and I recently had direct experience with restarting my machine this way.  I thought I had unchecked all of the options, but apparantly I hadn't.  I can tell you that suddenly and permantly loosing all my custom view schemes is a real shock.

The good news for me is that the new save/load buttons within the customize dialog allowed me to get back up and running fairly quickly, once I was done screaming.  The former options, save for all similar/all views never really made sense to me, so I was overwriting valid views fairly frequently.  I'm hoping these saved views are now saved with a library backup, giving a certain amount of permanence to them (fingers currently crossed).

As for the permanent safe mode, it's awfully strong medicine for the situation, IMO. 

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 03:33:22 pm »

I'm hoping these saved views are now saved with a library backup, giving a certain amount of permanence to them (fingers currently crossed).
Does anyone have a confirmation for this ?

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 11:35:44 pm »

jgreen, where are these new save/load buttons located in the customize dialogue?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

jgreen

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 09:24:27 am »

Dude--
I say "new buttons" the way I talk about my "new car", when I might've bought it used with some miles on it, or my "new wife", when she might not be exactly new either.  I mean that I just discovered the buttons, so it seems to me like they just suddenly appeared, whether they're new to 11.1 or they've been there all along.

In "customize current view", the "Preset" buttons next to "columns to show" and "Sorting" will get you the options "save/load/delete".  Here you can save off your current view, giving it a name, and then restore that scheme (and that sorting) to your next view, customize it further, and save that off as something else.  This made restoring from scratch much easier.  Whether this carries over into the library backup is another question.  Anyone?

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 10:22:07 am »

Dude--
I say "new buttons" the way I talk about my "new car", when I might've bought it used with some miles on it, or my "new wife", when she might not be exactly new either.  I mean that I just discovered the buttons, so it seems to me like they just suddenly appeared, whether they're new to 11.1 or they've been there all along.

Do you change your wife often?  :)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 01:36:35 pm »

I was hoping MC added a save 'customize current view' option.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball
Pages: [1]   Go Up