INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copying track info from library to new CD  (Read 1013 times)

ozmael

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Copying track info from library to new CD
« on: April 28, 2006, 10:46:22 pm »

I've got lots of CDs in my library that I ripped years ago at 96 or 128bps. Now I want to go back and re-rip them at a higher bps.

Lots of the CDs aren't identified by the lookup in the CD Database. Is there anyway to copy the track information that I already have in my library to the new disc so that I can re-rip it at a higher BPS?

Thanks.

Ozmael

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Copying track info from library to new CD
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 03:15:00 am »

If you can duplicate the naming structure, you could use another ripper (Easy CD-DA or something else) and re-rip, replacing the old files. If the names are the same, the only change MC will notice will be the bitrate which it will update. Try a few CDs to see if this will work for you.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 04:26:35 am »

Actually, it is possible to do that with MC too. Just use another library for ripping.

Since those CDs are not in the online CD database and MC cannot get the appropriate file names from there, you could rename your old files temporally to this structure:
Base folder\Album Artist (auto)\Album\Track #. (The correct track info is preserved in the library fields).

When you rip new files just use a different library, a separate base folder and a similar naming structure like this:
Another Base folder\Album Artist (auto)\Album\Track #

You need to fill only the Artist and Album fields. MC will use track numbers as filenames. If the CD has various artists use (Multiple Artists) as the artist name so you need to write only one artist name.

After you have ripped the files, replace the old files with the new files outside MC.
Inside MC load your standard library, do "Update Tags (from library)" and then "Update Library (from tags)".
After that you can rename the files as you had previously.

Naturally, before doing anything like this you should backup everything (the database and the media files.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 06:14:29 am »

After a second thought, I would like to repeat this feature request for MC12 (variants of this have been requested from time to time):

Currently we have two options for getting CD info: from the online database and from the CDplayer.ini file. A third option called "From existing library files" would be much welcomed. MC could provide a dialog for selecting the album files in the current library and provide an option for replacing the current files or making new files to another location. That would make possible to submit the info to the online CD database too.

Actually, MC could have a general function for copy-pasting all library fields from selected files to another similar selection. The developers may want to check out how e.g. Mp3tag can do this. That tagging tool works only with physical file tags, but a similar function would be very useful inside the MC library.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up