INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartlists and sort order  (Read 936 times)

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
Smartlists and sort order
« on: May 03, 2006, 04:17:21 pm »

Long time problem:

Build a simple smartlist that includes a simple playlist (with tracks in it a user-desired order).  The smartlist does not maintain the original order of the tracks in the source playlist(s).  I removed all the customization for sorting and that did fix it (still in artist, albums, track # order even). I added a smartlist option for sorting and use [None] and got some random order (different order though).  The bug is that you can not build a smartlist of simple playlists and maintain the origianal sort order (of the source playlists).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 04:39:00 pm »

Long time problem:

Build a simple smartlist that includes a simple playlist (with tracks in it a user-desired order).  The smartlist does not maintain the original order of the tracks in the source playlist(s).  I removed all the customization for sorting and that did fix it (still in artist, albums, track # order even). I added a smartlist option for sorting and use [None] and got some random order (different order though).  The bug is that you can not build a smartlist of simple playlists and maintain the origianal sort order (of the source playlists).

This is by design.  The sorting specified by the smartlist rules or view will override any sorting from the playlist.  Since a smartlist could contain several playlists, with advanced exclusions, it's not always possible to honor the original playlist sorting.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 08:09:30 pm »

This is by design.  The sorting specified by the smartlist rules or view will override any sorting from the playlist.  Since a smartlist could contain several playlists, with advanced exclusions, it's not always possible to honor the original playlist sorting.

I don't get it, maybe I'm not explaining myself well.  The original plain (source) playlist have no (none, zero) sorting and are in a user-defined order.  I want to have a smartlist that brings 1 or multiple playlists (plain ones) together into a giant (all inclusive list) that is still in the order (one after another) of the original (source) playlist(s) (ie, appended together).  Currently, I have to build another plain (simple) playlist and drag each source playlist to it to get a giant list of all the other playlists together in one playlist. I have reason I like to to this and I use it all the time with my portable MP3 players. My end (manual) result it nice, but I'd like to use a smartlist (seems like a simple thing for a smartlist, just no sorting please).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 09:15:53 pm »

I don't get it, maybe I'm not explaining myself well.  The original plain (source) playlist have no (none, zero) sorting and are in a user-defined order.  I want to have a smartlist that brings 1 or multiple playlists (plain ones) together into a giant (all inclusive list) that is still in the order (one after another) of the original (source) playlist(s) (ie, appended together).  Currently, I have to build another plain (simple) playlist and drag each source playlist to it to get a giant list of all the other playlists together in one playlist. I have reason I like to to this and I use it all the time with my portable MP3 players. My end (manual) result it nice, but I'd like to use a smartlist (seems like a simple thing for a smartlist, just no sorting please).

I think I understand what you're looking for, but it's not currently possible.  The order of a playlist is irrelevant to the smartlist engine as it evaluates whether files meet its criteria.

What if you simply pick several playlists to sync instead of trying to do it with one big list?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sbsp2

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 09:33:25 pm »

What if you simply pick several playlists to sync instead of trying to do it with one big list?

I do that already too.  Then I have one giant playlist that has all the others in one BIG one.  It's prettly kewl because each playlist has a single track from each album on the portable MP3 player and no track is ever repeated in any of the playlists (from the other playlists).  So, I end up with a really nice set of playlists that 1 unigue track from each album on the MP3 player.  When I combine them all, I still have entirely unique tracks that are always spread out by atleast the # of albums currently loaded on the MP3 player (66 albums currently).  I've been doing this for 6+ months and it's great, kind of like my own personal sattelite radio with all tracks I like from artists and albums I like.
Pages: [1]   Go Up