INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tag this!  (Read 1059 times)

hottuna

tag this!
« on: September 18, 2002, 07:02:37 pm »

ok, I wrote a nice message about tagging, noticed a punctuation error while previewing the message, hit the back button and the message was gone, that's just nasty.

So here's the readers digest version which isn't nearly as complimentary about MJ as the original was:

I hate your ID3 tagging - ID3v1 doesn't work, ID#v2 is too slow.

LCtheDJ

RE:tag this!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2002, 07:13:30 pm »

ID3v1 works for me.

Make sure v1 is turned on. Check it at: Settings/Plugin Manager/Input/MP3 Plugin/Configure.

I agree on the rudeness; it happened to me too.

Scronch

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2002, 07:22:38 pm »

Interact Bug - Me, too, all the time.  Sometimes if you left-click in the text box, the text re-appears.  I have gotten into the habit of highlighting all the text in the text box and doing Ctl-c before clicking Preview.  This is an old annoyance that really should be fixed.

Scronch

hottuna

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2002, 07:31:51 pm »

LCtheDJ - thanks, done that, and tried several variations of v1, v2, etc. no difference for many MJ v8 versions. You likely have, but make sure that you test that it's actually working, try deleting a file from MJ and re-importing it to see if your tag updates were really applied...

P.S. ironically I made another typo in the 2nd message - that was ID3v2 is too slow.

peleton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2002, 08:12:26 pm »

I have to agree the ID3v2 tagging is rather slow.

-Although I think it might be tagging in general.
The most annoying part is that the "Saving 1 of x ...." box comes up, and then context does not return to the main window until (I presume) all the tags are saved to all the files in the list. -This is particularly annoying when playing music while tagging large groups of files at a time. -You can't get back access to the player controls (say to skip a track) until this is finished. -Which can take quite a while (well for me anyway, -I don't think my system is THAT slow!?!)

I remember this being different (maybe back in the BETA's?) -and someone asking for the "tag saving" to be changed to the way it is now. -I can't remember exactly what the reason was, but could the tag saving be done in the background (with perhaps the "saving y of x..." dialogue box staying around for info's sake) and context return to the main window. (perhaps use a semphore to prevent file-properties from being modified/accessed while the opperation is finishing)

sorry for the (v)long post.

peleton.

Listening to: 'Radio (acoustic)' from 'In Blue - Special Edition Bonus Disc' by 'The Corrs' on Media Jukebox

sys info:
-------------------------------------------------
Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.372
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: AMD Athlon 734 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 62 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

joe mama

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2002, 12:45:50 am »

I would imagine that the slowness of ID3v2 tag updating has to do with the nature of v2 tags.  Since, the v2 tag is saved at the beginning of the file (rather than the end, like v1) updating usually requires that the entire file be re-written to the hard drive.  Some programs (EAC and Tag & Rename are two that I know of) deal with this by 'padding' the beginning of the file.  I'm not sure if MJ does this or has this option.  But, even Tag & Rename can be slow when updating v2 tags on a large number of files.

That being said, I find MJ to be very slow updating OGG tags also.  On the other hand, MPC tags update very fast.  Most likely it is just a result of the difference in the tagging system used by each format.

Rob

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2002, 03:45:42 am »

If the Mp3's Were Created \ Taged With MusicMatch Thats also another problem. Since they did not really use the ID3 taging system in early versions and there is no way to remove that info. so what happens is when MJ reads a mp3 on import it will find the Musicmatch tag first. the only way to get rid of the Music match Version Tag is trim the last 1 second of the mp3 file. i think this was on MusicMatch versions 3-5

I have tested both ID3v1 And Id3v2 Taging out And They Both Work.

Test it with a freshly riped MP3 from a Audio CD
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2002, 07:56:20 am »

If anyone has a file that shows the behavior, please email it to jimh @ jriver.com with a description of the problem.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up