INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raw image files  (Read 1554 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Raw image files
« on: May 04, 2006, 12:14:24 am »

Hi,

I've been playing with some of my raw images in adobe's raw image plugin (changing the white balance etc), and noticed that when i view them as thumbnails in adobe bridge, it shows them with their new customised settings.

I'm wondering how MC reads these images and generates thumbnails for them. I guess it is with the equivilent of the "as shot" preset in the adobe camera raw plugin.

park

• MC Beta Team
Re: Raw image files
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 12:30:08 am »

On a related note, raw image files play really small in MC. Jpegs taken with the same camera play full screen and are even zoomable after that. Raw files seem to play at about 800x600, leaving a big black border around the outside.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 04:07:18 am »

I have not used Adobe's raw image plugin, but I suppose it does not alter the original raw image data. The program I use is Bibble. It stores all changes to a small proprietary correction file (.bib) that is saved next to the raw file. MC can show only the unaltered raw data in my case. I think this would be enough for me if I would like to make an MC database of my raw images. In general, the main idea of the raw format is to be able to keep the original file intact and use software tools for making best possible output files for various end use purposes (one of which could be images for MC display).

You forgot to mention which camera you use. Each major camera manufacturer has its own raw format. It might help if you could provide a download link to a sample image.

Also, an individual format may have version changes, like Olympus ORF appears to have. (Check this thread out for details: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33431.0.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 08:56:36 am »

Currently some RAW formats are loaded at half-size by MC.  For 8MP+ images, this is still more than you'd need for fullscreen slideshows and modest zooming.

This is done for performance reasons (RAW files are slow, even with the latest tools and fast computers).  We'll make this optional at some point in the future.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

park

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 11:00:01 am »

I use a Canon G3 4megapixel camera. MC shows the images with a big black border around them. I used the canon "raw image processing" tool to see if it would change the thumbnail in MC after editing the raw file, but after editing the raw file you have to save it out as another kind of file (as alexb was saying) to see the effects permanantly. I like adobe's way of editing the settings inside the raw file, and then always seeing the raw file in that way in the future. I hope that MC will one day be able to analyse the files the same way that adobe bridge does, and display the files according to the settings we have chosen. Saving out to jpegs etc. just for viewing purposes creates needless duplicates and makes organisation more complicated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up