INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Satellite?  (Read 2133 times)

JDizzy

• Recent member
Satellite?
« on: May 05, 2006, 12:39:24 am »

I have been using Sage TV and have tried about all other HTPC software that's out there..

I am curious about this software but had a few questions before I get too far into configuring it:

I have DirecTv and my capture card is hooked to it.
My card is a Happaugue PVR150
I run my audio through a surround sound receiver and all my movies have 5.1 audio.
My receiver has the decoder built-in

Will this setup work with this software as far as recording off the TV and playing imported movies with 5.1. surround?

Is there an option to download a TV Guide listing according to your provider so you can easily schedule recordings?

Lastly, I currently use the IR Blaster that came with my capture card and it automatically changes the DirecTv channel and allows me to do any function within Sage TV using the remote.
I don't really plan on using a mouse and will mainly use the 'Theatre' view as the Windows desktop is very hard to view on my widescreen.

Is it a major nightmare to get things working?
(some software is easy and just works out of the box and others you have to tweak)

Lastly, does this software allow any scaling to hlep fill screen?
(I have not installed software on my HTPC yet, only my desktop which doesn't have a capture card)...

Thanks in advance,
JDizzy

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Satellite?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 08:32:28 am »

I have DirecTv and my capture card is hooked to it.
My card is a Happaugue PVR150
I run my audio through a surround sound receiver and all my movies have 5.1 audio.
My receiver has the decoder built-in

Will this setup work with this software as far as recording off the TV and playing imported movies with 5.1. surround?

Recording - Yes, as long as you use DirecTV's box to tune to channels. You can not tune to Satellite TV using MC and your card.

Not sure about 5.1 surround. I think it will do.

Is there an option to download a TV Guide listing according to your provider so you can easily schedule recordings?

No. You have to schedule a recording manually by specifying a channel and start and stop times.

Lastly, I currently use the IR Blaster that came with my capture card and it automatically changes the DirecTv channel and allows me to do any function within Sage TV using the remote.
I don't really plan on using a mouse and will mainly use the 'Theatre' view as the Windows desktop is very hard to view on my widescreen.

You can use MC's Thearter view.

Is it a major nightmare to get things working?
(some software is easy and just works out of the box and others you have to tweak)

No. If you encounter problems, come here. We will try our best to help you.

Lastly, does this software allow any scaling to hlep fill screen?
(I have not installed software on my HTPC yet, only my desktop which doesn't have a capture card)...
Install and try it!

You have the following display options - Source Aspect Ratio, 4:3, 16:9, ... , ..., Stretch, and Crop. I think the last two are what you ask for.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

JDizzy

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 11:21:49 pm »

I have installed Media Center and do like the look of it..
Since I am using DirecTv I use the s-video and line in for my capture card.

Under 'analog' channels is one called channel 1...I tried to delete this as when you are doing something else (like listening to music),, and want to go and watch TV, it defaults to channel 1. There is nothing on channel 1 except for static.
Can you delete this channel, or move the s-video to default channel?

As far as remote controls go....what is the best setup?

At the moment when I use Sage TV, my Hauppaugue remote can control everything within Sage, and also change the channles on the DirecTv box. I checked the plugins area and there are only 3 there with reference to remotes.
What sort of setup is needed to have 1 remote that does it all with Media Center?

Thanks,
JD

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 11:40:01 am »

Under 'analog' channels is one called channel 1...I tried to delete this as when you are doing something else (like listening to music),, and want to go and watch TV, it defaults to channel 1. There is nothing on channel 1 except for static.
Can you delete this channel, or move the s-video to default channel?

You can delete channels (except SVideo etc.). Click Analog Chan button. On the resulting dialog window right-click the channel number you want to delete and select "Delete".

As far as remote controls go....what is the best setup?

At the moment when I use Sage TV, my Hauppaugue remote can control everything within Sage, and also change the channles on the DirecTv box. I checked the plugins area and there are only 3 there with reference to remotes.
What sort of setup is needed to have 1 remote that does it all with Media Center?
I myself have never tried to use a remote control as all I do is to play TV on my computer. Some day I will take time to do it. Many people have used various remote controls with MC TV. I hope some one will come in and give you a better answer.

MC supports IRMan. You can use almost any remote control with it. Some remote controls are supported through Girder plugins.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up