INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lyrics Editor 1.2.2 (See top post)  (Read 34123 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: New Plugin - Lyrics Editor (beta)
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2006, 01:53:59 pm »

Ok, new build up. :)

WARNING
Be very careful with this one. While it seems to be behaving correctly, I did have some problems where some files were getting updated with the information from other files. I'm 99.999% sure I have it fixed, but be forewarned. ;)

New Features:
  • Added the ability to select a playlist to work on as well as Playing Now
  • Added a list of files that you're currently working on
  • You can now listen to songs in Playing Now while working on songs in Playing Now - it doesn't automatically change tracks when Playing Now does, though (yet)
  • You can select files in the file list to change files - keep in mind that changing the selection, whether it's using the Next or Previous buttons or the file list automatically updates the file information (lyrics, artist, album, and name)
  • Added a "Clear" button that will clear the contents of the lyrics box (in case you find the lyrics are completely the wrong ones)
  • Swapped the locations of the Next and Previous buttons to better match up with the visual representation of the file list

Download

jgreen

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2006, 03:11:50 pm »

Doof, you are Farm Animal brilliant.  I'm just trying your plugin out for the first time, so I'm going slow and letting somebody else erase all their data first, if something's going to erase all the data.  But so far, this is spectacular work.  Thank you, thank you.

Crazy / Ungrateful / Ignorant question here:  Does the MC lyrics system allow for changing format, say font or type size, etc?  These kinds of tools would be cool, if that were possible.

Question:  I make a simple change for the sake of easily spotting the change, namely inserting four rows of space between a line.  I skip down my playlist WITHOUT saving, and yet when I come back the test change is still there.  Maybe a clear RESTORE button down among PREVIOUS, NEXT, & JUST SAVE DATA.

Also, I'm not using PREVIOUS and NEXT for anything, your column setup is so user-friendly.  Do these buttons do anything else, along the lines of saving data or discarding it?  "JUST SAVE DATA" is clear enough even for me.

Clearly, Doof, some animals were created equaller than others!  Great work!

jgreen

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2006, 03:17:02 pm »

You know, ChriZ is right:  this is a tag editor, too (I believe he was the one who said this).  You could expand the button column on the right, allow for dragging adjustments to all three columns, and just populate the right side with all available tags.   

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2006, 03:35:25 pm »

Doof, you are Farm Animal brilliant.  I'm just trying your plugin out for the first time, so I'm going slow and letting somebody else erase all their data first, if something's going to erase all the data.  But so far, this is spectacular work.  Thank you, thank you.

Glad you're enjoying it. :)

Crazy / Ungrateful / Ignorant question here:  Does the MC lyrics system allow for changing format, say font or type size, etc?  These kinds of tools would be cool, if that were possible.

MC doesn't support formatting the tag data, but at one point (a couple of years ago), I played around with embedding html tags to the lyrics so that when they're displayed in a Track Info Template, you could have it formatted however you lked.

Question:  I make a simple change for the sake of easily spotting the change, namely inserting four rows of space between a line.  I skip down my playlist WITHOUT saving, and yet when I come back the test change is still there.

This is by design. It's designed to make it as quick and easy as possible to make changes. Just make the change you want, then move on to the next file. Think of it as an inline Lyrics editor, much like how MC can do inline edits of the simpler tags. The "Just Save Data" button is there for when you want to save the changes without moving to the next track. it's really only needed for when you make a change and then exit the plugin, mainly because I can't figure out what events MC triggers when you leave the plugin to make it save changes then.

I could probably add an option to only save if the Save button is pressed. Or if a lot of people would rather it didn't save changes unless they specifically told it to, I could make that change.

Maybe a clear RESTORE button down among PREVIOUS, NEXT, & JUST SAVE DATA.

I wrestled with the idea of an Undo/Redo system, but since it saves changes when it changes tracks, I wasn't sure how this kind of functionality should work.

Also, I'm not using PREVIOUS and NEXT for anything, your column setup is so user-friendly.  Do these buttons do anything else, along the lines of saving data or discarding it?  "JUST SAVE DATA" is clear enough even for me.

Currently all they do is save the changes you made to the current file and move on the next or previous file. Once I get around to some of the other things I'd like to add, they may do more. If not, I could probably remove them without losing anything.

Clearly, Doof, some animals were created equaller than others!  Great work!

Thanks! :)

You know, ChriZ is right: this is a tag editor, too (I believe he was the one who said this). You could expand the button column on the right, allow for dragging adjustments to all three columns, and just populate the right side with all available tags.

I thought about this, and decided that MC's built-in tag editor is much nicer and much more powerful for the vast majority of the tags. What I think I might do, though, is expand this plugin to handle Bios and Review as well; basically the fields that aren't so easily editable by MC's built-in tag editor.

jgreen

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2006, 03:48:01 pm »

Alright, since I'm offering up numbskull-oriented change suggestions, here's another:

"Select Source" is perfect.  I have PN in AW showing, and the "File List" next to it.  Very clear.  However, if I reorder PN, "File List" is out of order.  I can go back to "Select Source" and refresh by going away and coming back, but what about a "Refresh from Source" button?  Hmmm?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2006, 04:32:08 pm »

Just posted another build that fixes a bug where it would crash if you selected an empty playlist (or if Playing Now was empty).

Download

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2006, 04:33:33 pm »

Alright, since I'm offering up numbskull-oriented change suggestions, here's another:

"Select Source" is perfect.  I have PN in AW showing, and the "File List" next to it.  Very clear.  However, if I reorder PN, "File List" is out of order.  I can go back to "Select Source" and refresh by going away and coming back, but what about a "Refresh from Source" button?  Hmmm?

I'm sure I could do that. This is the kind of thing that would could be automatic if MC would broadcast events when things like playlists updated or playback status changed.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2006, 05:36:33 pm »

Trying the latest built, I just pasted in the first lyrics, hit next and got a .NET Framework error:

Code: [Select]
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at MC_Lyrics_Editor.MainInterface.updateFile(MJFileAutomation& File) in E:\Users\Matt\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\MC_Lyrics_Editor\MC_Lyrics_Editor_Solution\MC_Lyrics_Editor_Project\MainInterface.cs:line 354
   at MC_Lyrics_Editor.MainInterface.btnNext_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in E:\Users\Matt\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\MC_Lyrics_Editor\MC_Lyrics_Editor_Solution\MC_Lyrics_Editor_Project\MainInterface.cs:line 334
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
MC_Lyrics_Editor
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2318.28476
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///g:/Program%20Files/J%20River/Media%20Center%2011/Plugins/Lyrics%20Editor/MC_Lyrics_Editor.DLL
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
MediaJukebox
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///g:/Program%20Files/J%20River/Media%20Center%2011/Plugins/Lyrics%20Editor/MediaJukebox.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Sue

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2006, 07:23:02 pm »

Trying the latest built, I just pasted in the first lyrics, hit next and got a .NET Framework error:

Hmm... that was a weird one. I think I got it, though. Give this build a try and see if it comes back...

Also... I added a refresh button to handle those cases where you manage to change the playlist you're working on without actually leaving the plugin (like through the Action Window).

Download

jgreen

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2006, 07:59:11 pm »

Doof, you are the Dawg!  Even I can find my way to a nice green refresh button.  Thanks!

Free-association time, Tiger.  So, this is a Lyrics Editor, but how do you know if you've edited the lyrics?  I mean, you've got 10,000, 20,000 tracks, maybe you lose your place.  What about a custom field that would time-stamp the saves?  Sparta, on the other side of the equation, could use this info to judge the accuracy of the lyrics in his db, since I'm finding a lot of humming and "She may be wooley" in the lyrics I've opened so far.

Just a thought.  My main thought is, this is totally cool--do the Russians have anything like this.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2006, 10:48:47 pm »

I really need to get away from this computer...

New build...

New Feature
  • You can now preview the selected file by clicking the "Preview" button and MC will start playing it. Clicking the "Return" button will return you back to where you left off.

Enjoy!

Download

jgreen

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2006, 11:22:33 pm »

Doof--
This is BIZARRE!  You've completely taken over PN in the AW!  You must be fooling with alternate zones or alternate dimensions, cowhound!  It's really cool but, I mean, does jriver know about this? 

Works as advertized, I can cut in and out of songs at will, edit their doggone lyrics and see PN restored when viewed in split views, but AW PN is a goner, it's a slave to your plugin.  If I want to restore it, I have to close out your lyrics, shut PN and then open it again.  No problem, but while you're at it, why not just make a new PN plugin? 

I mean, when I view PN in split views, and then perform a search on an audio view, all views not occupied by an interface plugin get searched also.  This means once I've found the tracks I want in the audio view, I also have to restore PN in the other view before I can successfully drag selected tracks to it.  But if it was an interface plugin, which gave me the same editable fields I had with PN when it was an audio view, that wouldn't happen.

Listen, it took you three days to do this plugin and it's pretty much done.  I think you're ready for a new challenge, you monster!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2006, 11:36:07 pm »

Doof--
This is BIZARRE!  You've completely taken over PN in the AW!  You must be fooling with alternate zones or alternate dimensions, cowhound!  It's really cool but, I mean, does jriver know about this? 

Works as advertized, I can cut in and out of songs at will, edit their doggone lyrics and see PN restored when viewed in split views, but AW PN is a goner, it's a slave to your plugin.  If I want to restore it, I have to close out your lyrics, shut PN and then open it again.  No problem, but while you're at it, why not just make a new PN plugin?

I'm not sure I understand. I've got 2 Views showing, 1 showing PN, the other showing Lyrics Editor, and the AW is set to show PN. If I preview a track, PN in the split view and in the AW update to show the file you're previewing. When I click "Return" PN is restored to what it was before and both the PN in the split view and the AW reflect this. Is that not happening for you?

I mean, when I view PN in split views, and then perform a search on an audio view, all views not occupied by an interface plugin get searched also.  This means once I've found the tracks I want in the audio view, I also have to restore PN in the other view before I can successfully drag selected tracks to it.  But if it was an interface plugin, which gave me the same editable fields I had with PN when it was an audio view, that wouldn't happen.

I also don't quite understand this, either. Can you go into more detail about what you're seeing, what you expect to happen, and the series of steps you're using so I can try and recreate it?

Listen, it took you three days to do this plugin and it's pretty much done.  I think you're ready for a new challenge, you monster!

Don't worry. I have a lot of ideas. :)

dcwebman

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2006, 07:37:22 am »

From the latest build:
- The drop down for finding Playing Now or other playlists needs to have a specified height limit put on it. I guess I have too many playlists because it just disappeared off the bottom of the screen and I couldn't scroll to those.

- Minor suggestion. Swap the Album and Name buttons/fields since this is the order usually used to find the lyrics to a song.

- I had one song in Playing now and went to Preview it. While it was playing, I played around typing in the editor and then hit the Clear button since it didn't have real lyrics. I then clicked the Playing Now button from the tree without saving to see if the Lyrics field (I have a customized field added saying Yes or No) had been set to No. It hadn't as expected but then I got a popup error:
Unspecified Error (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004005 (E_FAIL))
This caused it to close Media Center (version 183). BTW, this got the Incomplete Shutdown Detected message when MC started again.

- May be related to the above one. Opened up MC again and it had the one song in Playing Now with the lyrics. Went to Lyrics Editor plugin and hit Clear, Just Save Data, and then Playing Now in the tree. My Lyrics field was No which was good. Clicked Lyrics Editor again and MC just closed. Loaded up more songs and switching between Playing Now and Lyrics Editor, eventually closes MC when clicking on Lyrics Editor. Might be some conflict with another plug-in but before I debug further just wanted to mention it.

- You've been putting out a lot of updates which is great but would it be time to put a version number somewhere so that we make sure we have the latest? You might want to update your first post listing the latest version just so we don't have to download again to make sure. In the Plug-in manager it always says 0.0.0.1.
Jeff

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2006, 08:24:04 am »

From the latest build:
- The drop down for finding Playing Now or other playlists needs to have a specified height limit put on it. I guess I have too many playlists because it just disappeared off the bottom of the screen and I couldn't scroll to those.

I'll see what I can do. :)

- Minor suggestion. Swap the Album and Name buttons/fields since this is the order usually used to find the lyrics to a song.

Out of curiosity, how are you using these? I've had such good luck just hitting the Google Search button that I never use the others.

- I had one song in Playing now and went to Preview it. While it was playing, I played around typing in the editor and then hit the Clear button since it didn't have real lyrics. I then clicked the Playing Now button from the tree without saving to see if the Lyrics field (I have a customized field added saying Yes or No) had been set to No. It hadn't as expected but then I got a popup error:
This caused it to close Media Center (version 183). BTW, this got the Incomplete Shutdown Detected message when MC started again.

I've had that pop up a few times, but I can never seem to figure out how to reproduce it. It's not a .Net message, it's coming from MC directly. It's a little different for me, though, because it's never actually crashed MC. So when I got it, I would just click on some other plugin and then back on Lyrics Editor and it starts up fine. So it's been a real person to track down. If you (or anybody else) can find a rock-solid way of reproducing this one I'd be really grateful. :)

- May be related to the above one. Opened up MC again and it had the one song in Playing Now with the lyrics. Went to Lyrics Editor plugin and hit Clear, Just Save Data, and then Playing Now in the tree. My Lyrics field was No which was good. Clicked Lyrics Editor again and MC just closed. Loaded up more songs and switching between Playing Now and Lyrics Editor, eventually closes MC when clicking on Lyrics Editor. Might be some conflict with another plug-in but before I debug further just wanted to mention it.

Sounds like it is related to the above. When my plugin starts, the first thing it does is populate the dropdown with all of the playlists, then it selects Playing Now as the starting point. I wonder if just not having anything pre-selected would make this go away. I could try that for a build or two and see if it helps.

- You've been putting out a lot of updates which is great but would it be time to put a version number somewhere so that we make sure we have the latest? You might want to update your first post listing the latest version just so we don't have to download again to make sure. In the Plug-in manager it always says 0.0.0.1.

Yeah, I'm really bad about that. I'll get better. I promise. :P

jgreen

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2006, 09:12:09 am »

D--
I don't see the AW PN thing today after a restart, imagine that!  What I was seeing before was that the track listing populating AW PN would disappear when you previewed a different track, and not return.  AW PN would shrink to 1 track in height and stay there, never returning to full height.

TODAY, I can confirm what DC says about AW PN going to full height, even though it only hold one track.  However, it does reurn to normal when you hit return.

My shameless request for a PN lugin was based on this:  If I have split views, one of which is PN with two Talking head tracks, and the other audio library, and I do a search for "beatles", both views will show all beatles tracks they contatain, which is zero for PN.  But PN has been taken over by the se4arch, and you have to clear the search or restore playing now in order to drag any new tracks into it.

This doesn't happen with an interface plugin--MC doesn't search them, naturally.  But what about an interface plugin that was actually a PN graphic proxy?  It would be open to customizations and stickiness that PN in a view isn't. 

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2006, 09:41:48 am »

Ok, I figured out how to reproduce this. Basically all I had to do was go to the plugin, go to PN, then go back to the plugin and BAM.

I'll be damned if I can figure out why it's happening, though. I'm starting to think it's a BUG in MC. I've narrowed it down to one MC function that works fine unless you use it, then go to Playing Now, then try to use it again. I'm going to report it to the guys at JRiver and hopefully they'll be able to shed some light on it.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2006, 10:40:13 am »

Ok, I reported the bug.

During my testing, I noticed that if the plugin's mode was set to always be active, then this problem goes away.

One nice thing about leaving the plugin always active is that you can leave it, then come back to it and pick up where you left off.

The downside to this is that if you're working with a playlist or Playing Now, then leave LE and make changes to that playlist or Playing Now, then come back to LE, the list of files you see is the list of files you had before you made that change.

So to get around that I tried having LE do a refresh whenever it repaints the main interface (which is the only event I can seem to get plugins to respond to inside MC - the usual ones you'd use for this don't seem to be generated). This works fine except that a repaint occurs both when you enter a plugin and leave the plugin. So if you're in LE, then click on Playing Now, LE will refresh it's file list before you can actually go to Playing Now. If the file list was relatively small, you probably wouldn't notice, but if you have a a couple of thousand files in the file list, there is a delay.

So as it stands now...

You can either have the plugin only be active when you're actually using it - in which case you get this weird crash thing until either JRiver fixes this bug, tells me that I'm using the function wrong, or I figure out some workaround.

or

Have it be active all the time - in which case the crash goes away and you get to pick up editing lyrics where you left off but then are faced with the choice to either may have to manually refresh the file list when you come back, or face a possible delay when you navigate away from the plugin.

In an ideal world, LE could catch some event from MC that lets it know that it's being entered, so it could do an automatic refresh then and only then. With the auto-refresh in place, I could lose the Refresh button as it would no longer serve any purpose.

So... opinions?

jgreen

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2006, 02:42:17 pm »

I'm not seeing the big deal with refreshing, D.  For myself, at least, I have most of my lyrics via Sparta's automated plugin, now I'm just going through and cleaning them up.  So I think having some way of knowing which lyrics you've cleaned is more important.  If I have 10,000 lyrics, I'm loading and cleaning 100 at a time. 

I think the preview/return functionality is really good, if that's part of the issue.   The beauty of this is that it turns the LE GUI into an alternate playing now, IMO.  Just some checkbox or other to indicate that the current file has been overwritten, and hopefully improved.

I hope you're kicking back and taking five after all this productivity.  LE as it is is ready to go for fixing lyrics.

dcwebman

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2006, 02:42:43 pm »

Out of curiosity, how are you using these? I've had such good luck just hitting the Google Search button that I never use the others.
I'm not currently using those as I'm just testing right now, but since they're there it seems like they should be in the "right" order.  ;)  I guess someone might want to use a search engine other than google or another tool that they would want to paste the artist and/or name into.
Jeff

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2006, 02:47:00 pm »

In your screenshots all your buttons are rounded.
Yet on my machine they come out square, anyone else getting this?

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2006, 02:56:44 pm »

Might be kind of handy if the file list could be color coded. Something like:
Black = needs lyrics
Gray = has lyrics
Red = edited lyrics this session.

Now that I have figured out the acronyms... Is there a shortcut for opening PN in the AW?
Sue

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2006, 03:04:21 pm »

I'm not seeing the big deal with refreshing, D. For myself, at least, I have most of my lyrics via Sparta's automated plugin, now I'm just going through and cleaning them up. So I think having some way of knowing which lyrics you've cleaned is more important. If I have 10,000 lyrics, I'm loading and cleaning 100 at a time.

I could probably add an option to display this. I'm running out of room on the form, though, and I'm loathe to go to a tabbed interface for such a simple plugin. I'll figure something out.

I think the preview/return functionality is really good, if that's part of the issue.

Nope, it's not part of the issue at all.

I'm not currently using those as I'm just testing right now, but since they're there it seems like they should be in the "right" order.  ;)  I guess someone might want to use a search engine other than google or another tool that they would want to paste the artist and/or name into.

Well, that's kind of what the button that copies Artist - Name is for. ;) And if you're switching out of MC to a web browser and back again to copy the individual fields, I'm not sure the order really matters.

In your screenshots all your buttons are rounded.
Yet on my machine they come out square, anyone else getting this?

What OS are you using? I'm using XP Pro here. But I think any of the older OS's will show the buttons as the old style.

jgreen

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2006, 03:06:59 pm »

Sush--
This is not the first time I've been called to task for talking gibberish, with or without the acronyms.  tools/options/tree&view/custiomze toolbars has a view hot buttons, for example "tag info".  However, the "Playing Now" button seems to work only with the current view, not the Action Window (AW).  Is there a way to assign macros to open PN in AW to a button?  Hmmm.

I think your idea of the color-codes is the right one.  Dress things up a bit.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2006, 03:07:43 pm »

Black = needs lyrics
Gray = has lyrics

Not sure you can do that

In VB6 you can't with the built in list control from mircosoft.

would be nice to know info if .net can do this
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: New Plug-in - Lyrics Editor (beta)
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2006, 03:16:27 pm »

I can understand why some VB 6 people got annoyed with it,

it is slow compared with VB6

why do you think VB .net is now free?

because everyone thought it sucked (IMHO)

I was talking to A Microsoft rep about a month ago about VB net, maybe when i get some money I will buy the Visual Suite, but i hate to spend that much money on software.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2006, 03:26:54 pm »

Black = needs lyrics
Gray = has lyrics

Now that I have figured out the acronyms... Is there a shortcut for opening PN in the AW?

I'm never going to get this thing finished, am I? ;)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2006, 03:31:33 pm »

Not sure you can do that

In VB6 you can't with the built in list control from mircosoft.

would be nice to know info if .net can do this

I'm sure it can be done. Even if it means overriding the Draw method for the listbox.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: New Plug-in - Lyrics Editor (beta)
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2006, 03:44:08 pm »

it is slow compared with VB6

why do you think VB .net is now free?

because everyone thought it sucked (IMHO)

I'm sure it's not free because "it sucks". It's free because it's a limited version that's perfect for people like me to download it for free, get used to it, then later when I'm a high priced programmer writing enterprise level database-driven apps, I can fork over a grand to get the real version.

jgreen

« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2006, 03:47:53 pm »

Doof--
#1, I'm worried about you busting a vein over this project, so pace yourself.

#2, If you know of a way to do color-coding, great.  Can this include some way to PERMANENTLY designate a lyrics file as having been edited?  Like I said, Kingo's machine got me 10,000 lyric files, and I'm dead grateful.  Now I have to go in and translate some of them from Albanian.  Here's an example, from Scott McKenzie's "San Francisco"--originally written by John Phillips, modified (apparently) by the wild and crazy guys:

If you're going to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hand.
If you're going to San Francisco
You will meet some gentle people then. ["then" rhymes with "hand", you see.]

---and later---

There's a whole generation
With a new exponation.[no exponation necessary]

---and lastly, my favorite---

If you come to San Francisco
Summertime will be your loving hand.

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Lyrics Editor 0.9.5.5 beta (See top post)
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2006, 03:36:32 pm »

When was the color coding added? I kept checking the end of the thread for updates and didn't notice anything until just now when I saw the first post.

Anyway, I know you don't want to make this into a tag editor, but it might be nice to let the user choose maybe 1-5 custom fields to add to the UI. I've used LE to search out a couple hundred lyrics in the last couple of days and several times it would have been handy to be able to change ratings and keywords as I go.
Sue

jgreen

« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2006, 03:51:08 pm »

usue--
Any idea how to active options?  Mine are all greyed out.

doof--
This is really lookin good. 

jgreen

« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2006, 04:09:44 pm »

okay d--

Here's the issue:  not only are you making a great tag editor, you're making a better browser than IE.  I use FF and am grateful that LE goes out to the default browser.  This is all really cool stuff.

#1.  Are the "options" supposed to be activated?  I see that "Create database field" button but it's greyed out.

#2.  Google search button is simple and effective.  I've found some great lyrics sites and I'd like to bookmark them within LE (yes--LE), and instead of click on "google", what if there was a dropdown menu that defaulted to google but also could list bookmarked sites which I've now forgotten? 

#3.  Now that you have such a cool looking GUI for your lyrics/bio editor/browser, any thought to making it skinable?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2006, 04:15:57 pm »

When was the color coding added? I kept checking the end of the thread for updates and didn't notice anything until just now when I saw the first post.

Yeah, from here on out, the thread name will be updated to reflect the new build number and the first post will have the details about the changes. It just makes it easier for people to read up about the plugin and its features and download it all without having to scroll through the entire thread.

Anyway, I know you don't want to make this into a tag editor, but it might be nice to let the user choose maybe 1-5 custom fields to add to the UI. I've used LE to search out a couple hundred lyrics in the last couple of days and several times it would have been handy to be able to change ratings and keywords as I go.

I'll give it some thought. I'm trying to keep it's focus on just editing lyrics, but I can see the benefit to what you're asking.

usue--
Any idea how to active options? Mine are all greyed out.

The options don't work yet. Well, they mostly do in the build I'm using but right now I'm making a lot of internal improvements to make the code more portable, so it may be a day or two before you guys get to play with them.

doof--
This is really lookin good.

Thanks. :)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2006, 04:21:10 pm »

#2.  Google search button is simple and effective.  I've found some great lyrics sites and I'd like to bookmark them within LE (yes--LE), and instead of click on "google", what if there was a dropdown menu that defaulted to google but also could list bookmarked sites which I've now forgotten? 

I've been mulling over some thoughts on this, like a dropdown that let you choose alternate search text. Hadn't really thought of putting in a favorites type system. I'm not really sure how that would work because not every site is searchable or searchable the same way. And if it's just going to replicate the Favorites/Bookmarks features of IE and FF, then is there really a point?

#3.  Now that you have such a cool looking GUI for your lyrics/bio editor/browser, any thought to making it skinable?

Allegedly, MC can skin plugins. It seems to work for the included plugins (ie. Library Server) and RhinoBanga apparently got it working for his PlayingNow plugin (What little of it that actually resides inside MC), but I'll be damned if I can figure out how it's done. I've asked around, but so far I haven't gotten any responses.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2006, 04:37:22 pm »

.NET plugins can't be skinned by MC unfortunatley.
I found an old post by Matt on it, and apparently the
Buttons are of a slightly different style, and therefore
MC doesn't pick them up.

Maybe it should be a function of the template in the future,
to work out which skin is being used and pick up the graphics
as appropriate, lol  :)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2006, 04:56:04 pm »

Hop to it! :P

Or maybe we should all bug the JRiver guys to make MC be able to skin .NET plugins...

mesue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2006, 09:23:27 pm »

Small request (I hope). Can you possibly change the File List to show:
#. Song Name (Artist)
instead of
#. Artist - Song Name

It's more important to see more of the song name for keeping your place, and chances are you're going to have several of the same artist in your list in a row. Plus it's just plain easier to infer the Artist from the song name than then other way around.

I also vote for going back to inexact searches in Google. The times I've had to remove quotes to get a match are higher than when I've had to add them to get a match.

Thanks and keep up the good work.
Sue

LonWar

« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2006, 07:18:23 am »

Also... I'm not married to this layout. I realized I was going to need to offer up some options, but I really didn't want to go to a tabbed interface. I thought of just sticking in a single button that would open up an options dialog, but once I cleared room for that, I realized I could fit all the options I wanted to use right on the main form. If anybody has any suggestions, feel free.

Thanks for all your work on this.... And for what it's worth, I really like the layout. I think it's very well laid out!
-

NoCodeUK

« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2006, 08:00:09 am »

Doof,

I really like the layout but iot doesn't fit properly on my screen :( I am at 1024 x 768 and I lose the buttons at the bottom.  Any way it could auto size to the space?

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2006, 10:50:55 am »

Great plugin :)

2 suggestions

Only show a list of audio tracks - not many of my pictures or vids have lyrics  ;)
Some sort of formatting aid would be nice

Thanks

LonWar

« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2006, 11:36:34 am »

Great plugin :)

2 suggestions

Only show a list of audio tracks - not many of my pictures or vids have lyrics  ;)

Thanks

If you create a Audio only smartlist, you can choose that in the drop down.
That way you won't have pic or vids.
-

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2006, 01:32:46 pm »

I actually thought about doing this, and I don't think it would be that hard to do. Is anybody out there adding lyrics to images or videos? Just wondering if I should make it do it by default or as an option.

I'm not sure I know what you're asking for.

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2006, 01:38:38 pm »

imjustagamer
True, i'll edit all my smartlists to just audio, then add video and image ones
Only 3 times as many smartlists is needed  ;)  <only joking, I can see it'd be a quick fix for me>

I just can't see the reason for not filtering out the non-audio in the first place ?
Hmmm, music videos maybe? But I can't see me doing that, after all I couldn't read them and watch the video at the same time.

Re: formatting aid
I was thinking of capitalise first letter type things
It annoys me having different styles of lryics, some with every word capitalised, some with only the first word of the line
And don't get me started about spaces before the start of a line
        Drives
        Me
        Crazy
 ;D

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2006, 01:44:05 pm »

Doof, from EvilLyrics
if ( currentPlayingTrack.Get ( "Media Type", true ) == "Audio" )
{

}

Where currentPlayingTrack is of type IMJFileAutomation

Might be useful

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2006, 01:48:55 pm »

Also a quote converter would be handy
Some lyrics use ', some use `, and some use (one I can't even find on my keyboard) that tilts to the right
Depending on the font used, some of these show up as a square box

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2006, 01:59:58 pm »

True, i'll edit all my smartlists to just audio, then add video and image ones
Only 3 times as many smartlists is needed  ;)  <only joking, I can see it'd be a quick fix for me>

I just can't see the reason for not filtering out the non-audio in the first place ?
Hmmm, music videos maybe? But I can't see me doing that, after all I couldn't read them and watch the video at the same time.

I was thinking of capitalise first letter type things
It annoys me having different styles of lryics, some with every word capitalised, some with only the first word of the line
And don't get me started about spaces before the start of a line
        Drives
        Me
        Crazy
 ;D

MC's built in Clean File Properties tool can do all this. You could just run it on all of the files in your library and be done with it. No need to fire up a seperate plugin and do each file manually.

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2006, 02:01:37 pm »

Multiple blank line removal?
Multiple      space  removal ?

I love this plugin, i've been adding lyrics like there's no tomorrow
Just wish some of the lyrics sites would quit trying to install adware on my pc!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2006, 02:05:04 pm »

Doof, from EvilLyrics
if ( currentPlayingTrack.Get ( "Media Type", true ) == "Audio" )
{

}

Where currentPlayingTrack is of type IMJFileAutomation

Might be useful

That's exactly what I was thinking. :)

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2006, 02:14:12 pm »

I actually thought about doing this, and I don't think it would be that hard to do. Is anybody out there adding lyrics to images or videos? Just wondering if I should make it do it by default or as an option.

I just started to use MC with music videos and I'm adding lyrics to them, so maybe you could set it as an option.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up