INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Podcast Features Wishlist  (Read 892 times)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Podcast Features Wishlist
« on: July 27, 2006, 08:35:09 pm »

I am glad to see basic podcasting ability added to Media Center, but it is still lacking some features that would make me abandon 3rd party software.  I post this not to complain, but as a wish list of things I would like see in future releases.

Usable show notes.  Right now the show notes go in to 'comments'.  The usual way of handling these in podcast software is to display them in a separate window with the hyperlinks intact.  If you look at TWiT for example, the notes contain a bullet point list with hyperlinks to the referenced stories.  If this is not easy to do without a major rewrite of the GUI, then how about the option to go directly to the shows home page as an option when right clicking the item in the display.

Bittorrent support (that can be disabled).  Some shows have bittorrent feeds to control bandwidth costs, and the ability to either natively  handle bittorrents or hand them off to a third party client would be nice.  It would also be ideal if this feature could be disabled (if native).  I usually install MC on my work machine as well, and our IT department has a no-tolerance policy for bit-torrent software actively running on their hardware.  A bit of an overreaction to the recent court events, but it is their hardware and their decision.

Non-enclosure items included in list.  Many times important news (like no show today, or feed is moving, etc.) items are posted as items with no enclosure.  It would be really nice to see these as well.

How does the 'check for new episodes' work, and is there a manual refresh?  I really only need the software to normally check once or twice a day for new downloads, so I have this set for every 6 hours to keep from needlessly hammering their rss feed data.  However, I would like to be able to manually kick this process off.  If I am about to go out of town or on a long road trip, it would be nice to run a quick scan to make sure I am caught up before I leave.  Does this feature keep track of the last time a scan was run, and then re-scan only after that amount of time has passed?  Or does it do a re-scan every time the software is launched and then re-scan every xx minutes?

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Podcast Features Wishlist
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 01:10:17 pm »

Couple of more:

More flexible tag control.  Specifically, the ability to leave tags alone and the ability to automatically populate any tag in the library on import.  Currently MC has a fixed list of tags that can be changed, and all of these tags are destructively edited when the file is downloaded whether you want them to be or not.

Ability to automatically run audio analysis on newly downloaded podcast files.  This would also be nice for any imports or for any future monitored folder enhancements.

Pages: [1]   Go Up