INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ 8.0.365 Locks up when writing Tags on a "Few" files  (Read 1126 times)

MHz Tweaker

MJ 8.0.365 Locks up when writing Tags on a "Few" files
« on: September 18, 2002, 02:19:51 pm »

Hi all

First of all, very nice piece of software. Easy to install, was up and running in minutes. I really have not used a tenth of the features yet but I like what I see so far.

Ok, after merging 3 mega MP3 collections, I have been sorting and cataloging tunes for many hours. The one thing I have noticed though, is that certain MP3's refuse to have their tags modded by MJ. I usually organize the tunes by genre/artist/album first then edit the tags (properties) by location in MJ. On these very few tunes, MJ will attempt to write the tags, I will get an hour glass for me to wait. After that, the program becomes unresponsive and either I kill it via task manager or wait for it to time out and Ab-End. This is more of a nuisance than anything else. Of the 31,000|PLS| files I have cataloged so far, this has only happened with maybe 20 or 30 of the files. I usually end up deleting the file.

Is there something wrong with the MP3 tag? Could MJ figure this out and give an error message rather than just crashing?

Specs:
Win XP Pro
Celeron 1470MHz
512MB ram
OS fully patched (No SP1!!!)
IE up to date
Latest hardware drivers

System is stable, no other crashes

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:MJ 8.0.365 Locks up when writing Tags on a
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2002, 02:29:53 pm »

If you use ID3v2 tags and you have images associated, the file may need to be re-written.  This can take some time.

There are also several different versions of the ID3v2 tag library floating around.  We use the latest.  

Disabling ID3v2 tags might work.

This subject is, in general, a rat's nest, and it seems to be getting worse, not better.  Microsoft does one thing, MusicMatch another, the ID3v2 people do another, and so on.

Can I interest you in APE?  It's lossless!  Perfect quality!
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

MHz Tweaker

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2002, 03:19:41 pm »

I honestly don't know one tag from another. I guess I need to learn the differences.

Do you speak of disabling this feature in MJ? What will I lose as a result? Will this create problems with other files?

I don't think going to another format (APE) is an option at this point. I really would like to stay with a single file type (MP3). How long would it take to convert 145gig of MP3's to APE? :-)

My concern is not that there is something wrong with a tag, but that MJ crashes upon trying to write them. Can this be avoided?

A couple dozen files out of 31,000 ain't too bad. The MJ Coder's should feel good about that. 15,000 of these were RIPed with Music match and seem to be fine. Music Match was just too slow for my taste.

thanks

MHz Tweaker

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2002, 03:26:12 pm »

I agree it shouldn't crash, but there are just too many variables right now.  XP SP 1, WMP 9.0 beta, and so on.

For tagging, I suggest a search on google.  There is a lot of information out there.  

Someone else here may be able to suggest some good links.

If you will send us a file that causes trouble, we'll take a look.  Send to jimh @ jriver.com.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up