INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capitalised Letters  (Read 3071 times)

NickM

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
Capitalised Letters
« on: May 04, 2006, 11:26:42 pm »

Is there a smart list function that can look for two capitalised letters at the start of a word in the name, artist or album?  My typing skills lack the dexterity to lift the shift key finger quickly enough, so I sometimes end up with the following:-

THe Best Sixties Album or
Robert PAlmer

I would like to search my library to find these mistakes and manually correct them.  Any ideas how?

Nick

darichman

• MC Beta Team
Re: Capitalised Letters
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 11:37:02 pm »

You can use Clean File Properties to automatically remove mid-word capitals...

but that sucks for artists which use acronyms & such (eg DJ Whoever)...

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 11:37:36 pm »

ctrl-a to select all the tracks.
right-click
library tools
clean file properties
check boxes of fields you want to make corrections for
check box for 'Fix capitalization' and set your preference for the drop-down option.

NickM

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 11:53:28 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion, but I would like to do this manually, for the reason that darichman points out.  Is there a way just to search for the offending culprits?
nick

LonWar

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 07:30:49 am »

Thanks for the suggestion, but I would like to do this manually, for the reason that darichman points out.  Is there a way just to search for the offending culprits?
nick

Just select Capatilize all words.

It does work with 3 word bands....   Alice In Chains.

-

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 07:41:23 am »

Just select Capatilize all words.

It does work with 3 word bands.... Alice In Chains.

I think what he wants is to clean up stuff like ALice In Chains without screwing up things like AC/DC or ZZ Top.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 07:48:29 am »

nick

Doing it the way zxsix suggested is doing it manually. (Doesn't that just sound dirty?)  He just suggested that you use Select All (control-a) for simplicity.  Select the tracks you want to "fix" (and not the ones you don't) and use the recommended method.

There's no magical way that you can do it automatically to the whole database without messing up DJ Keoki or AC/DC.  The only way I can imagine such a system working was if it looked for certain text strings that it new were commonly double-capped (like "DJ" or "ZZ").  Even then, it wouldn't be that effective....
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

NickM

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 08:42:46 am »

What I want ( would like ) is a smart list that gives me all the POSSIBLE offenders and, from this, I can manually correct that which I choose.  So, the smart list would include
ZZ Top ( which I would choose not to edit )
ALice In Chains ( which I wold choose to edit )

nick

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 12:37:49 pm »

Ahhh... I see.  No, don't think you can do that...

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 12:56:54 pm »

What i think you are looking for is regular expressions search..Well that does not exist in MC, but it does in other apps.

If you exported just the Artist, Album, Name columns, you could try in apps that allow this Ultraedit for example. Then refer back to MC and make the corrections that way.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 01:57:59 pm »

I would like to do this manually
You Can Do It

Start At The Top Of The Play List
Scroll Down And Use "Rename"
Then Change The Caps Where you Need To On Each file in each field

That is how you do it manually
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JaredH

• Superfluously Articulate
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 02:16:21 pm »

You Can Do It

Start At The Top Of The Play List
Scroll Down And Use "Rename"
Then Change The Caps Where you Need To On Each file in each field

That is how you do it manually

KingSparta,

Speaking of capiltalizing, why is it that you capitalize every word in a sentence as if every sentence were the title of a song? I noticed the same thing with your Lyrics Finder plug-in. All of your lyrics have every word capilalized. Is this something you picked up from years of working with music, or just some strange quirk?

I'm just curious.
J. A. Hayslett

Blog & Gallery - http://www.bgracetfaith.net

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 03:31:54 pm »

What I want ( would like ) is a smart list that gives me all the POSSIBLE offenders and, from this, I can manually correct that which I choose.  So, the smart list would include
ZZ Top ( which I would choose not to edit )
ALice In Chains ( which I wold choose to edit )

nick

Since I've been in a coding mood, I was actually just playing around with a plugin that could do this. I was thinking it could go through a playlist and add all of the possible offenders to another playlist. It shouldn't be too hard, but then I started wondering which fields it should search. I'm not sure you'd want to see how long it would take to search all the text of every field of every file, for example. Which fields would be of interest? I'm sure I probably could have it do all and let the user decide how long he or she wants to wait for it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 06:19:56 pm »

Since I've been in a coding mood, I was actually just playing around with a plugin that could do this. I was thinking it could go through a playlist and add all of the possible offenders to another playlist. It shouldn't be too hard, but then I started wondering which fields it should search. I'm not sure you'd want to see how long it would take to search all the text of every field of every file, for example. Which fields would be of interest? I'm sure I probably could have it do all and let the user decide how long he or she wants to wait for it.

What about having the fields to search be user selectable?  That way, the user could decide on-the-fly how long they're willing to wait.  Something truely useful would be a real "regular expressions" plugin for MC (which would allow you to select fields on the fly through the entered search) that could return an actual "playlist" object to MC, which you could then manipulate using all of MC's regular tools.

With the tools JRiver provides in the API, it certainly should be possible to pull off with some dedicated hacking....  (Wish I had it in me to actually do it, but I'm not there yet with my C++ / C# skills yet, and I'm too busy with life to attack it.)

::)

Oh well, it's nice to dream....  What you could do with that, a nice LCD Projector, and a bottle of tequila.  ...

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 09:25:21 am »

Create a smartlist that includes files to be corrected and customise its view to only show Artist, Album, Name & Filename.

select all files in the list & copy+paste into a text editor that has regular expressions search capability.

In search dialog enter [A-Z][A-Z]* and select option to match by case. This expression will find all words that have the first 2 letters in capital.

F3 to find addtional matches.

Look to filename and correct in MC, feasible provided you don't need to make 100s of corrections.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 09:50:35 am »

Is there a smart list function that can look for two capitalised letters at the start of a word in the name, artist or album?  My typing skills lack the dexterity to lift the shift key finger quickly enough, so I sometimes end up with the following:-

Robert PAlmer

I would like to search my library to find these mistakes and manually correct them.  Any ideas how?

Nick

for those entries where you have double caps...

Robert PAlmer

what is the likely state of the actual filename? If the path and/or filename are likely, or definately correct, and you have used a uniform method for storing your files, you could have a smartlist that would exclude ZZ top but include ALice in chains.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 10:40:02 am »

I think that having a way to specify items that are always upper case (NRG, UB40, ZZ,) and things that should always be in lower case (is, and, vs) would be a nice addition.
Maybe a toggle for first letter upper case, all lower, etc. too.

If you have the desire, install The Godfather 0.71 b2 and use the 'Multiple Masks' script from the Tag section. I just editied a few fields to have bad capitalization and that took care of them easily.

Then you can do an import to MC using Update for external file changes and the changes will be in MCs library. I'd imagine you could do the same with MP3tag, but I don't use it often enough to point you in the right direction.

I think having a way to execute scripts or to use regex in MC would be very nice. Save me the extra app in cases like this.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 11:35:07 am »

I think having a way to execute scripts or to use regex in MC would be very nice. Save me the extra app in cases like this.
I'd vote for that in MC 12.

Scripts as in batch files is possible already (Send To external) or are you talking about batching numerous MC actions into a script within MC. That would be handy to speed up workflows for sure, allowing them to be placed as buttons in the toolbar.

NickM

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 08:54:50 pm »

for those entries where you have double caps...
Robert PAlmer
what is the likely state of the actual filename? If the path and/or filename are likely, or definately correct, and you have used a uniform method for storing your files, you could have a smartlist that would exclude ZZ top but include ALice in chains.
Marko, sadly, I have already written the tags to the files and renamed the files; so the problem exists in both places...

Create a smartlist that includes files to be corrected and customise its view to only show Artist, Album, Name & Filename.
In search dialog enter [A-Z][A-Z]* and select option to match by case. This expression will find all words that have the first 2 letters in capital.
hit_ny, I copied the data to both Word & Excel, but the search criteria that you suggest does not work.  What editor did you use?

MANY thanks, nick

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 02:58:53 am »

hit_ny, I copied the data to both Word & Excel, but the search criteria that you suggest does not work.  What editor did you use?
I used ultra-edit. Should work in the eval copy. Don't think reg exp search works out of the box in excel without plugins.
Pages: [1]   Go Up