INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ a bit buggy on a wireless net  (Read 812 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
MJ a bit buggy on a wireless net
« on: September 18, 2002, 03:33:53 am »

I have MJ installed on my laptop (which connects to my stereo and roams the house with a wireless Linksys network).  The library of files is actually on a different computer, which is also my share server.
 Admittedly, the connections could be better ... but I am also surprised how well this works ... especially playing tunes from the library and web radio.  The problems happen when I want to update the library.  Unless I try to update a directory at a time, the process is frustrated with MJ crashes.  I realize it pushes MJ and my network to the limits, but it seems these file reading problems could be better handled ... or, is there something I'm missing???
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:MJ a bit buggy on a wireless net
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2002, 04:11:49 am »

The bugs could be anywhere.  If you're using netremote or glissando, you have to have the right version of webremote.  At this point, I would not try organizing the library from a remote.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

shAf

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2002, 04:24:58 am »

I better work out the problems with importing OGG files (see other thread), before I blame these networking problems on my wireless ... one thing at a time.

But your response begs the question:  How would I otherwize organize the library??  Can I organize it on one computer and then load it onto another??

JimH

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2002, 04:37:13 am »

Yes.  Check the Help file in MJ on Media Server.

Please provide some detail on where your files are and how you're playing them.
Jim Hillegass

Alban

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2002, 05:47:48 am »

I have a wireless network too, and am running media server which serves 3 other boxes on the network.  

It all works fine even while my music server is busy performing other tasks - and none of my machines are particularly highly spec-ed.

shAf

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2002, 09:15:05 am »

I've been playing with the media server, but I'm experiencing a problem with my roaming laptop.  The server is Win98SE and is hardwired to the router.  A computer which works fine with the host is also hardwired to the server, but is Win2k.

My laptop is win2k and I call up the media server exactly the same, but I get a "cannot connect to server" message .. and there is no server status message that an attempt was made.

The only difference I can find with the net connections is the 2 computers which are working  together have a "node type" 'broadcast', whereas the computer which isn't connection is of node type 'hybrid' ... and I can find no info about making any changes or troubleshooting.  Help would be appreciated  :o)

JimH

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2002, 10:33:58 am »

Locking this thread because it isn't about MJ bugs.  If you want to continue the discussion, please start a new thread with an appropriate subject.
Jim Hillegass
Pages: [1]   Go Up