INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Play Count is updated  (Read 914 times)

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
  • Negopus: negotium, otium et opus
How Play Count is updated
« on: May 13, 2006, 11:23:49 am »

The Play Count (Number Plays) value in MC is updated (increased) every time the track is stopped after the half of its length. This is not a really coherent Play Count. This value should count the number of times the track is played entirely, from beginning to end. An Incomplete Play Count could be added to count how many times the playback of the track has started.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: How Play Count is updated
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 01:17:15 pm »

I suppose many users are happy with the current behavior.

This topic was discussed "recently" (about 750 days ago ;)) in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=20753.0.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 03:15:43 pm »

As am I, not really for rhino's exception that a long track played for more than 3 mins should be counted as listened in that referenced thread. If its that long then the 50% rule scales pretty well i think.

I'm happy to consider a track as listened  if i listen to  more than 50% of its duration, regardless of its duration. It's a compromise for sure, but a practical one.

negopus

• Galactic Citizen
  • Negopus: negotium, otium et opus
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 05:24:36 am »

I agree with this definition of played track. I just wanted to point out that, at the time, the check MC performs for increasing the Play Count (Number Plays) value is:

ENDTIME > LENGTH/2

So if I start playing a track, then pause it and move beyond the half of the track, to listen to a solo for example, and I listen just to a second of it, then I stop, MC increases the Play Count even if I just listened to a second of it. This often happens to me, as I use MC to listen to specific sections of tracks.

The correct check should be:

(ENDTIME-STARTTIME) > LENGTH/2 (with continuous playing)

Pages: [1]   Go Up