INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlists gone when restoring library  (Read 1652 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Playlists gone when restoring library
« on: May 14, 2006, 11:53:32 am »

Why did my playlists dissapear when I was restoring my library backup?? I don't see much logic in that.
I don't think I have exported the playlists. So is there any way I can bring them back??
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Playlists gone when restoring library
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 12:36:48 pm »

The playlists that are inside MC are an integrated part of the database and included in a library backup. When a backup is restored the archived data replaces all data including the playlists. Did you make the missing playlists after you created the backup file?

Since you are using MC11.1 (you forgot to mention your MC version, but I checked your forum history) you should have automatically generated backup archives in the C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Application Data\J River\Media Center 11\Library Backups folder (you may need to make the hidden folders visible in the Windows Explorer options for seeing the folder).

You can restore the latest backup from there and export the playlists (right-click the root playlist branch > Export all playlists). Smartlists are exported as standard m3u file playlists so you need to copy the smartlist rules manually if you like to recreate them.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 01:07:08 pm »

Yes, I'm using MC 11.

I know it makes automatic backup, but just in case I manually made a backup before importing many untagged files. Just needed to listen to them for reviewing purpose. I made all my playlists before I did the backup.

Under the smartlists group I had different groups of playlists (mood, rock, electronica, party etc...), including smart and not smart ones.

I have noticed the "export all playlists" so I thought the library backup would not contain them. That's why I also thought they would still be there after a library restore. The reason I needed to restore is that I deleted the "recently imported" playlist insted of deleting the actual songs I had added to my library.

As a last thing, I tried to clear the whole library. After doing this and then restoring the library backup, all my lists showed up! HURRAY! So it seems the backup contains playlists as well  ;D
Praize the lord!

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 01:42:06 pm »

Jeeez. I still got one problem.

After posing this thread I rated about 200 songs. So now I got backup 1 with all my playlists and 9.600 rated songs. The second backup do not have any playlists but have 9.800 rated songs.

I have tried to export the playlists and copy the whole folder, restoring library with backup 2 and then replacing the files in the playlist folder. But no playlists are shown.

I can right click the playlist catalogue and import the playlists, but that removes the "smart" part of the list and turns them into regular playlists.
I got the library exported to a xml-file as well. Before I rated the songs. My plan was simple: Restore the backup so I get the playlists and then switch the xml backup with the original library. But I can't figure out how to import the xml file, or find the library file  :-[

Any suggestions?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 02:45:23 pm »

Well, if the ratings are in the physical file tags you could just do "Update Library (from tags)".

If you don't have the ratings in the file tags you could change the "Store in file tags (when possible)" option in the second library (Tools > Options > Library > Library Fields > Rating > Edit) and do "Update Tags (from library)".

If the used file format cannot be tagged with MC there may be other more complex solutions, but try this first.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 04:16:35 pm »

Thank god! Saved me a bit of time that one

I stored the tags in the files, yes. Update library from tags worked perfectly. Why did'nt I think of that?!

Thanks alot, again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up