INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bug? editing and column sorting is confusing?  (Read 721 times)

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
bug? editing and column sorting is confusing?
« on: May 19, 2006, 09:48:48 am »

Oy, something's really screwy.  I have a playlist that's setup to use 'Name=-' to find tracks that have a dash in their name.  I have no sort setup on it.

I click the Artist column to sort it (it shows a 1 in the header) and scroll to the end.  This moves the list to show tracks an empty artist field.  I then select a track name cell and edit it.  I 'cut' the first chunk of the track (it's the artist name).  I then hit tab to move to the next column and paste the 'cut' text into it.  This seems to work OK for the first few edits.  At some point, however, it seems like MC gets confused about the sort order and other columns get selected for sorts.  (this is difficult to reproduce).  But basically you can't reliably tab to the next column and get to where you think you're going.  It seems to re-sort things and jump you to the next cell regardless of the fact that the underlying list has completely reordered itself. 

Without knowing what the list view 'thinks' it's supposed to be doing it's hard to say what the fix is for this.  Things like the explorer in Windows will leave an edited item in place, even when the view is sorted on that name.  MC seems to immediately re-sort things and doesn't move the view to follow the edited item.  Now, moving the view might be WORSE for what I happen to being trying to perform. 

It's just one of those UI surprises that makes you pull your hands back from the keyboard and think "WTF is going on here?"
Pages: [1]   Go Up