INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mpg Video Tags not sticking  (Read 2245 times)

Cindy_B

• World Citizen
  • I Love My MC !
Mpg Video Tags not sticking
« on: May 18, 2006, 08:36:14 pm »

This has been an issue for several builds now, but it's gotten worse with this last build.

I keep loosing my video (mpg) tags.
Restoring use to reset them but on the latest build it's not even doing that.

I've been using long tag strings to restore my propertie tag via "fill properties from file name" (which works great) but that take too much time.  I have a lot of video directories.

Anyone else having this problem?   ?

Media Center Registered 11.1.183 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 4 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium 4 2974 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 329 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81.4916 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2800 / Shell32.dll: 5.0.3900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive D: HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8162B  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No 

Burning /  No burners found.
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

darichman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Mpg Video Tags not sticking
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 01:44:09 am »

Heya... As far as I know, MC can't write tag information to mpeg/mpg files (along with the avi container format and quicktime video).

It sucks, but the only video format that tags seem to work properly for is wmv.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 09:49:26 am »

I was under the impression that was a limitation of the file formats themselves, not MC. Am I wrong?

What would be cool is if MC could create an external file for file types like this. So if you had "Vacation Video.avi", MC could create "Vacation Video.tag" or something that sits in the same folder. And if MC goes to import the .avi, if it finds the .tag file next to it, it knows to use the information in that file to fill the .avi's properties.

Because it's a real pain to tag a couple hundred video files on one PC, then import them on my HTPC and have to redo it all over again. :(

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 01:28:09 am »

A big fat thumbs up for doof's .tag idea.

This would work great for other tag-unsupported formats as well (mp4, bmp, documents etc)

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 02:24:58 am »

What would be cool is if MC could create an external file for file types like this. So if you had "Vacation Video.avi", MC could create "Vacation Video.tag" or something that sits in the same folder. And if MC goes to import the .avi, if it finds the .tag file next to it, it knows to use the information in that file to fill the .avi's properties.
I do the exact same thing with mpl files & mp3 since i dont write to the files themselves.

Would MPL not work for mpg files as well ?

Add mpg to MC, tag as appropriate, then Export Playlist->Save to MPL in the same directory as the mpg itself.

Then import that folder into MC, which should detect the mpl file and import all associated meta-data as well.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 07:23:55 am »

I've never used that function before :)

Will give it a try, thanks!

Cindy_B

• World Citizen
  • I Love My MC !
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 01:31:22 pm »

Heya... As far as I know, MC can't write tag information to mpeg/mpg files (along with the avi container format and quicktime video).

It sucks, but the only video format that tags seem to work properly for is wmv.

Well.............. Something was saving my tag before.  I've been using MC since the beginning and never had problems with tags before....  why now?

I have a huge music video library which has always worked with the same tagging fields used for audio files.   Some how MC stored that information before and it's not doing now.  ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up