INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 11.0.316 Doesn't indicate library update failures  (Read 1485 times)

Shady Bimmer

• World Citizen
  • (too busy listening)
MC 11.0.316 Doesn't indicate library update failures
« on: November 29, 2005, 07:25:06 pm »

I learned the hard way today that MC 11.0.316 doesn't indicate any failures in updating its library.  I had done roughly two hours of work importing and populating tags.  The typical "Saving Database" pauses would happen along with the corresponding message in the bottom of the frame, though no errors would be indicated.

I only learned of this when I exited and came back the next day to do more work and found my previous day's efforts missing   :(

It was my mistake (my network drive was mapped with a different userid that did not have permissions to write to the library files), but MC should have indicated a failure on its attempts to update to alert me that my efforts were fruitless.  Unfortunately I was working with WAVs so I didn't even have file tags to recover from :( (I convert to APE in batches after I've completed entering info into the library)

Has anyone else seen this?

MC indicates failures (when appropriate) updating file tags, so perhaps similar functionality could be added to library updaes in 11.1?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: MC 11.0.316 Doesn't indicate library update failures
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 11:58:07 am »

I just discovered this too.  If there is a semicolon ( ; ) in a track name, or complex characters, MC will not import such tracks, and generates no indication of failures.

Without having a list of which tracks are failing to be imported, one cannot rely on the accuracy of the database.

JRiver, can some feedback be generated to allow locating and resolving track-import issues?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 12:28:52 pm »

MC will preserve database changes regardless.

Simply do Update Tags (from library) to try reapplying changes to the tags.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrC

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 01:05:10 pm »

MC will preserve database changes regardless.

Simply do Update Tags (from library) to try reapplying changes to the tags.

Thanks for the quick reply Matt.

I don't think I understand.  The track does not show up at all in the library; how can I update?

I ripped some CDs (with another ripper), and all the tracks with semicolon's in their filenames failed to appear in MC.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 02:11:22 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply Matt.

I don't think I understand.  The track does not show up at all in the library; how can I update?

I ripped some CDs (with another ripper), and all the tracks with semicolon's in their filenames failed to appear in MC.

You're talking about something different than Shady.

Your issue was a FLAC plugin bug.  This is outside JRiver's control, but I'm sure scthom has (or will shortly) address it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrC

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 02:20:46 pm »

Thanks.  I had not recognized the different issues.  I'll raise the issue with Scott.
Pages: [1]   Go Up