INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: how can people treat animals like that  (Read 3455 times)

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
OT: how can people treat animals like that
« on: August 16, 2006, 10:28:43 am »

Had an odd morning yesterday
Woke up at 7:15am with next doors dog howling
They've gone on holiday and left a dog and a few cats in the back garden - the dogs in an area smaller than my pc room
Whoever is supposed to come and feed/clean up after the dogs and cats arn't doing their job though
There was no water or food and the area was full or excrement
This had being going on for a few days, but apart from chucking food over the fence, there was not a lot I could do
But seeing no water in the bowls (and there being no way to get water to them) I became a lawbreaker
Very nervously (it's a staff' bull terrier, and you gotta be careful - I pity the fool who tries this at my house with poppy (possibly the evelist jack russell terrior in the world)) I climbed over the fence, unlocked it and brought in food and water
<sigh> shouldn't have been worried, the dog was lovely and just wanted some company, food and water
5 minutes later the neighbour on the other side popped her head out of the window and gave me some salmon for the cats
10 mins after that, there was a knocking on the back gate, so I openned it (half expecting a police officer) to find an old man with a large bag of dried food for the dog
He reckoned that they had left somebody in charge of the animals, but they didn't even spend 5 minutes when they came over
I moved the dogs bowls to under my fence so I could fill up the water and food by leaning over the fence, but couldn't do anything about the kitten that I saw in the house
Thanked the two neighbours for their help (I have a sneaky feeling that they were waiting to see who went in first and would they be attack by the dog?) and came home
Phoned the RSPCA (for no UK people - it's our animal welfare organsation)
Phoned Graham (a police officer) to ask how much trouble I would be in if I brought the dog to my house - not a good idea, so I left her howling all day

How can people treat animals like that, I was so angry I wanted to kick the crap out of someone and that's not like me - last time I got into a fight I was in juniour school
Instead I phoned a friend and ranted for a while - didn't really help, I just got an offer to help me kick the crap out of the person who's supposed to be looking after the animals

-today-
Went out to feed the dog - shock, the kittens outside
Good news thinks I, whoevers supposed to be looking after the pets has come and fed them
Nah
Still no food or water - even more dog s**t everwhere
Looks like they just let the cat out
Bastard
So, feed the pets (after going to the shops to get cat food) and come in (after Grahams advice I'm not going into the garden again unless I really have to)
-later-
The RSPCA come around
The lady has a look over the fence and is frothing at the mouth, but because me and the other neighbours are feeding them she doesn't have a reason the break in immediately
She's put a letter through the door that they've got to answer in 24 hours warning them that they must clear up the c**p, feed and water the pets properly and that she'll be back for an inspection soon to see that it's being done right
Otherwise, (she said) 'we get the police to break in and then take the animals into protective custody'

It's horrible - I'm so angry and I dont even know who to be angry at
Did my neighbours think they were trusting a reliable person and it's not their fault
Or did they just ask the nearest junkie?

Sorry to rant so much, but it makes me want to scream at someone - you just came along at the right time ;-)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: OT: how can people treat animals like that
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 10:40:56 am »

Feel better now?  Maybe we could start a new board called Eliza.  She could say things like "What made you angry?" or "You must have felt awful."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatterbot

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 10:50:24 am »

Yeah - that would work  ;D

Honest to god I've never been so angry in my life

I know it's nothing to do MC, but I really needed to know that it's not just me and this was the only place I could think of

Sorry to abuse the forums like this

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 10:51:52 am »

It's not a problem.  And it definitely isn't you.  Seems like you did the right thing.

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 11:18:39 am »

Cheers Jim, thanks for being so understanding.

LonWar

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 12:03:04 pm »

Cheers Jim, thanks for being so understanding.

Seeing how I like animals more then people, It's one of those stories that makes you want to Knee Cap someone.

And Bravo Man, that took some serious guts, It's people like you that make the world a better place!

-

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 12:18:29 pm »

Seeing how I like animals more then people, It's one of those stories that makes you want to Knee Cap someone.
And Bravo Man, that took some serious guts, It's people like you that make the world a better place!

Thanks your reply, that really means a lot (really I'm ashamed that it took me so long to go over the wall and help them, but I'm not afraid that to admit that I was scared that the dog would attack me as an intruder) - I thought it was just me, but it's good to know that somebody else is out ther there feels the same
Thanks you so much

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 12:57:27 pm »

Uh huh, go read this.
Nice doggy

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 01:07:21 pm »

Yeah that was exactly the kind of thing I was worried about, but I couldn't leave her no mattter outcome
I had to do something to make it better

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 01:55:06 pm »

didn't really help, I just got an offer to help me kick the crap out of the person who's supposed to be looking after the animals

If I lived in the UK you'd have an offer from me too.   >:(

I definitely think you did the right thing.  I'll never understand what makes people feel like they're so superior to animals.  We're lot's less civilized than most of them...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

modelmaker

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 03:12:57 pm »

I have a next door neighbor that used to leave their 2 dogs chained up out side (barking and whining continuously) all the time. The last straw was when it got to below 0' f and eventhough there were warnings on the TV news to bring in the pets, they were still outdoors. As the ASPCA was closed for the night, I called the sheriff and they came and made them bring them in. SCince then, I have still had to call the neighbor a half a dozen times over the years to remind them when it gets real cold.  I'm in upstate NY and we get temps of -20 to -25 degrees F from time to time. On the news we see stories about pets freezing to death because some people just don't seem to care. I must say though that NY state has toughened up the animal cruelty laws in the past few years and most of these kinds of incidents end up with people going to jail for years not months now.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 04:34:12 pm »

How can people treat animals like that

happens all the time

Recently someone had there dog tied up with 550 cord (parachute cord, here in fayetteville, nc) it cut thru the dogs skin,  and he was covered with maggots due to his rotting flesh.

I know a bit graphic
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up