INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Images EXIF / Tagging  (Read 1564 times)

willmcd

• Recent member
Images EXIF / Tagging
« on: May 27, 2006, 05:48:58 pm »

I'd like to suggest some features to add to the Image handling in MC.

1)    One "feature" of canon and other digital cameras is that they save the image in the landscape orientation and then code the photo orientation in the Exif data. This really troubles Windows XP because it doesn't check the Exif data for the photo orientation whilst displaying the image or a thumbnail. The same thing happens in MC11. I'd like to request that the image display checks the EXIF tag to determine the correct orientation of the image. This would avoid having to manually turn photos after importing them into MC11.

2)    I manage a large photo library inside the Organizer module of Photoshop Elements 4.0. Photoshop Elements has the feature to save the caption and tagging information into each photo. When you do this it populates keywords in the EXIF data in accordance with the IPTC standard. I believe Photoshop is not alone with this and Picasa and Flikr also have this (or similar) capability. In photoshop elements, photos can be tagged in a variety of ways, but the defaults are Star Rating; People; Places; Events and Collection. The first four are standard categories in MC and the last is somewhat equivalent to a playlist. It would be great if the image import routine were to look into the EXIF data on the photos and automatically tag the images in MC.

Thanks.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Images EXIF / Tagging
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 03:24:28 am »

I couldn't agree more...

Just so you know though, MC can read EXIF data (just not in the standard "field" way - and there is no integration with other features, as you mentioned). In the action pane, click on file properties.

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 03:37:06 pm »

same for me... EXIF tagging is one of the things I miss most - MC12 is going to get my bucks for this feature alone ....

or is there any other EXIF tagging image library program around that`s realy good in usability and EXIF writing? (I looked at quite a few but there's none)

Ingo

willmcd

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 09:41:50 pm »

Ingo,

I'm no expert, but Photoshop elements' organizing function is disciplined in its handling of EXIF data and also easy to use.

However, the beauty of MC is that it can handle images seamlessly with music. So I end up loading my favorite images onto my HTPC and displaying them with MC whilst listening to music. We look at our digital photos this way much more often than our photo albums, which helps placate my better half, since she used to complain our digital images were hidden on my PC.

The problem is, I have to re-tag them (which I don't do as thoroughly as I do in Photoshop Elements) and rotate them, I just wish they'd import in the correct rotation and load up all my valuable tags into MC to help be more selective on which photos to show.

Willmcd

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 03:08:26 pm »

Can MC read tags created in Photoshop Elements? Is there any type of standard for tagging photos like there is for music files?

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 12:08:02 pm »

Hi willmcd,

I know, Photoshop Elements (at least V3+V4) can and do write EXIF-tags - unfortunateley they only do this until the file is changed externally.
After that happend there seams to be no way to make PSE start writing EXIF-tags to that file again.
Even worse: there's no indication (at least none that I could find) that tags won't be written to the file....

so in short: unusable!

Ingo

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 12:49:19 pm »

Even worse: there's no indication (at least none that I could find) that tags won't be written to the file....
So which apps are capable of reading/writing EXIF tags properly then ?

Quixote

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 02:06:31 pm »

I can also recommend ACDSee.  It's not the absolute perfect app, but it handles EXIF properly.  And it's kill for contact sheets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up