INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD playback does not work for me  (Read 2675 times)

dmm

• World Citizen
DVD playback does not work for me
« on: January 24, 2006, 05:35:19 pm »

I love MC and have been using for music playback for several versions, back to version 9.  I am currently running 11.1 beta.

In all the versions, I have never gotten DVD playback to work.  Consequently I have been using MC for music files only.

Now I would like to get DVD playback to work.  Please help.  The error message is always the same.

If I goto tools, options, playback, dvd....I get a pop up dialog box that says,
"There were problems setting up DVD-video playback....."
yadayay and some stuff about 1 out of 3 DVD-video streams failed to render.

I have windvd, powerdvd, nvdvd, atidvd, sonic dvd all loaded on my machine.  They all work fine by themselves, in zoomplayer and with windows media player.  They just don't work at all with MC.

dmm

• World Citizen
Re: DVD playback does not work for me
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 05:45:04 pm »

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 01:17:32 am »

I had the same problem too and there was an error in the playback.dll that has been fixed a few versions ago. So download the latest version of MC11.1

dmm

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 07:10:42 am »

I have never gotten DVD playback to work with any version including the latest 11.1 beta.

Matthew

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2006, 07:29:00 am »

Please post your system info from MC. This could be a video card issue simply purchace a new video card from Nvidia and also try updating your DirectX 9.1 see if that helps.
www.microsoft.com

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 08:31:46 am »

This could be a video card issue simply purchace a new video card from Nvidia

If the DVD playback is working in other players then this is doubtful.

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 09:11:33 am »

Are you running the build from yesterday (11.1.105)? The fix that Jaguu was talking about got incorporated in that build.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Matthew

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 10:04:20 am »

Some DVD player software will likely to play DVDs even
tho an old Video card will work.
I had this same problem when MC refuse to play DVDs. When  I upgraded the Video Card then, MC played DVDs
just fine.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 01:01:28 pm »

John,

well, after installing 11.1.105 DVD playback stopped working again.

I get the following error when trying to play a .vob file:

"Media Center encountered errors while playing the last several files. Please make sure that the path to your media library is pointing to the right location"

dmm

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 04:46:07 pm »

Well gee, I guess I should say that all versions UNTIL version 11.1.105 did not work.  Just checked and I was running 1.04 and that did not work.  Now version 105 at least loads the DVD.  Further testing requried to see how stable it is.

mhakman

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 10:25:32 am »

I have the same problem. I get the same error as shown on
http://img203.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image10jx.gif
I run MC 11.1.183. Both VLC and Mplayer play DVD without problems. I have also InterVideo WinDVD 5 that came with my computer – it also plays DVD. For some reasons WMP 10.00.00.4019 does not play – it says something about missing codec. AFAIK I have two codecs installed, InterVideo Video Decoder 5.0.11.303 and GPL MPEG-1/2 Decoder 0.1.2.0.  What can be wrong?

mhakman

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 08:38:45 pm »

Problem solved ;D

After running Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility and switching back and forth between InterVideo Video Decoder and GPL MPEG-1/2 Decoder as preferred and then rebooting the system, both MC and WMP started to play DVDs.

However MC did not use the preferred one but the first on the list instead. To select which one MC actually uses I had to run RadLight Filter Manager tool (GPL) and change the merits of the decoders.

Both MPEG decoders work satisfactory in MC.

I used also the above tool to select InterVideo Audio Decoder instead of AC3 Filter. While AC3 Filter has a lot more features and options, it results in an error when Decoder Properties button is selected in MC’s DVD Configuration/Audio box.

/Mikael

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 10:49:45 pm »

Problem solved ;D

After running Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility and switching back and forth between InterVideo Video Decoder and GPL MPEG-1/2 Decoder as preferred and then rebooting the system, both MC and WMP started to play DVDs.

However MC did not use the preferred one but the first on the list instead. To select which one MC actually uses I had to run RadLight Filter Manager tool (GPL) and change the merits of the decoders.

MC 11 uses DirectShow's automatic filter selection system, which is based on merit values of the filters. Version 12 will allow users to choose which decoder to use.

Both MPEG decoders work satisfactory in MC.

I used also the above tool to select InterVideo Audio Decoder instead of AC3 Filter. While AC3 Filter has a lot more features and options, it results in an error when Decoder Properties button is selected in MC’s DVD Configuration/Audio box.

This will be fixed in version 12 as well.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

mhakman

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 05:54:24 am »

MC 11 uses DirectShow's automatic filter selection system, which is based on merit values of the filters.

DirectShow's automatic filter selection system doesn’t work well. Changing the merits equals to telling your car where not to drive and then hope it will drive where you want. Also I wouldn’t recommend using Filter Manager tool for people who don’t understand DirectShow at software developer level.

The same weird design is also used in Java Media Framework where it is actually even worse because you have to remove (manually or programmatically) drivers and plugins from JMF registry in order to “drive your way”.

/Mikael

Pages: [1]   Go Up