INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How accurate is Replay Gain?  (Read 1903 times)

dje06

• Recent member
How accurate is Replay Gain?
« on: June 18, 2006, 12:18:11 pm »

I can't seem to get it to work well for some reason.

Do I have to pre-analyze the songs first or does it do it on the fly? I turned Replay Gain on but one song is louder than the next, and considerably so. Is there something I can tweak to make it better? Can someone help explain the settings to me? Under Replay Gain -> Adjustment, do I need to specify "Automatic based on current playlist" or "None" or "Fixed" ? I read the help page about that but I'm not sure I am doing things right...

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Re: How accurate is Replay Gain?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 04:29:34 pm »

You have to analyze your songs to use replay gain. To do so just mark the (audio-) files you want to hear at the same level and use:

Library Tools -> Analyze Audio... -> [Analyze]

I cannot explain the settings in DSP Studio, but for me mode "Track based" and Adjustment "Automatic based on current playlist" works fine. But I'm sure here are others who can explain it.

Here are some links for you referring to the MC FAQ:
Analyzing: http://www.jrmediacenter.com/help/replaygain2.htm
Options: http://www.jrmediacenter.com/help/replaygainadjustment.htm

dje06

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 10:47:45 pm »

K so you're saying I need to leave my laptop overnight and just let it analyze my whole library? There is no option to do it on playback or in the background? That'd be nice, kind of like how iTunes does it... Also, is this setting is saved in the file tag, is there any way to import it, because before when I had my whole library in iTunes it did analyze all the tracks.

modelmaker

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 12:14:55 am »

MC ReplayGain must analyze you music first. The info is stored in the MC database, not the files and does not permanently change your files.

If you're playing from playlists then StFeder's recomendations are good. When switching from song to song or album to album I tend to use tracck based/fixed. Try different settings until you find ones you like.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

dje06

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 08:39:45 am »

MC ReplayGain must analyze you music first. The info is stored in the MC database, not the files and does not permanently change your files.

Well, this link (http://www.jrmediacenter.com/help/replaygain2.htm) says

Media Center can analyze your audio files so that you can play them back at the same volume. Media Center stores the information in the database and in the file itself, so that playing the file with any player will play it back at the volume set here.

modelmaker

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 02:18:29 pm »

I stand corrected. I believe when I first started using J River's product, (MJ8 - 3 years ago), it was not stored in the file. I don't always pay attention to all the new improvements, I just update/upgrade every so often and see what's new to the way that I use MC. I think this was something added to aid in the use of portables (which I don't use), but I could be wrong on this too. ;D
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 03:51:47 pm »

The documentation seems to have an error.

Media Center stores the information in the database and in the file itself, so that playing the file with any player will play it back at the volume set here.

It should be like this:

Media Center stores the information in the database and in the file tags as proprietary comments (if the used file format has tagging support). These tags do not alter the audio content. Media Center can use these tags without reanalyzing when the file is reimported or played with another Media Center. Tag writing can be disabled in the field specific options if preferred.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 04:07:28 pm »

but for me mode "Track based" and Adjustment "Automatic based on current playlist" works fine. But I'm sure here are others who can explain it.
i tried this for a bit but found the results too soft.

So i settled with the tried & trusted.

mode "Track based"
Adjustment "Fixed" +9dB

YMMV
Pages: [1]   Go Up