INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flac Tag Help in MC 11.1.183  (Read 1953 times)

luper89

• Recent member
Flac Tag Help in MC 11.1.183
« on: June 04, 2006, 04:25:13 pm »

I had MC10 and just updated to MC11.  (Version 183)  When I rip to FLAC, MC shows the tags as being included in the file (Tag Info in File Properties shows the Artist Name, Album Name, etc), but I'm having trouble reading the tags with another program.  I use a Sonos system to play music to my stereo, and Sonos is not recognizing the tags.  Sonos does recognize the tags in FLAC files created by MC10, and it also recognizes the tags in WMA files created by MC10 and MC11, so I think the problem is in the FLAC file creation process.  MC11 shows the tags as being there but I can't read them with the other program.

Also the artist name, which is missing from the tag, is included in the track name when read by Sonos (i.e. the track name is now "Artist - Track" rather than just "Track" when created by MC10 with the artist name where it should be.

Any suggestions?  Encoding is set to FLAC Encoder, Selected Quality 6, Add 4k Padding block, and Add Seek Table if possible.  I also tried "Update Tags from Library" but that didn't help.

I downloaded and installed the FLAC encoder/decoder about a week ago but didn't do anything else with them after that before using.

Thanks.

scthom

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Flac Tag Help in MC 11.1.183
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 10:10:26 pm »

If there don't appear to be any other problems with the tag data as seen from MC, then most likely the Sonos doesn't support FLAC tags using the Vorbis tag format.  It might be looking for ID3v2, but those aren't supported via MC and the FLAC plugins.

One way to verify is to use the command-line flac utility to see what it thinks is there (metaflac.exe).  That would be the standard reference utility.

luper89

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 10:57:43 pm »

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunatley I'm in a bit over my head here:

1 - Did MC10 use a different format for FLAC tags?  The Sonos read FLAC tags created by MC10 just fine.  Sonos claims to be FLAC-compatible and also supports the Ogg Vorbis format, but I'm not sure if there's more than one way the tagging works.  I could just re-install MC10 but would rather be able to use the update.

2. - I opened the command-line flac utility as you suggested but wasn't sure what to do next.  It listed a bunch of flac-related options, but I didn't understand what I was supposed to do with them.

I'm also going to post this issue on the Sonos message boards but let me know if you can give me any more advice.

luper89

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 09:16:00 pm »

Fixed!  I was using your old In-FLAC plugin, before you fixed the tagging.  Now it works.  Thanks.

scthom

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 10:13:24 pm »

Glad to hear it's fixed.  Surprised that gave the Sonos bugs though.

john h

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 09:01:13 am »

Luper89, if you are still checking these messages, let us know how you are connecting your Sonos system with MC.  I emailed Sonos to see if there was any chance of compatibility, and it was suggested there wasn't.  I'd like to use the Sonos, but want the system to be able to see my MC playlists.  Just curious.

johnh
Pages: [1]   Go Up