INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "No Cover Art" Image  (Read 2887 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
"No Cover Art" Image
« on: June 21, 2006, 09:19:29 am »

Does anyone know of a good image to use for albums with missing cover art?  It would be handy to throw a nice looking image up just for the time until I either have the chance to buy new album art or just download a copy off the internet.  Other cases mean that the album art may never be found so the image would stay in those instances.  I am looking for a very high resolution image if possible.  I have found a few lower resolution ones, but a list of those would be fine, too.

LonWar

Re: "No Cover Art" Image
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 09:36:24 am »

How high are you looking?
-

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 09:41:58 am »

I have made this (check the last image).

You can also change the default thumbnail: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=32614.0
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

LonWar

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 09:55:02 am »

This is the thread I was looking for:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=23601.0
-

benn600

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 12:01:28 pm »

I found 2 good ones that might work for people.  I just wish they were a little higher resolution, but for thumbnails they will be fine.

http://www.kraljic.info/covers/nocoverdark.png
http://www.kraljic.info/covers/nocover_v5.png

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 12:23:55 pm »

remember there are two images, a "NoThumb.png" for use in file lists etc. and a "NoTile.png" for use in the library browser views.

You can go to your MC install directory and create the folder: \Data\Custom Art\ and place the two chosen files in there. MC will then use these by default and not over-write them when installing an update.

modelmaker

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 04:56:27 pm »

I like to change the "logo.png" (when play is stopped) periodically, but since version 10, it has been greyed (if that's the correct term). Does anyone know a way to remove the greying feature so that an image can be shown in full brightness?
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

benn600

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 05:13:23 pm »

I actually am not even going to use the Custom Art thing.  I would rather just duplicate the image in each directory where an image doesn't exist because this means I don't have to make a Custom Art folder on 7 computers and it also means that I can know that every directory has album art.

Now I just have to find a few missing cases with art.  I am scanning and it's going good, relatively speaking.  I noticed two albums I have are mainly white (Jewel & Fleetwood Mac) and both of which have terrible bleed through upon scanning where you see the text on the other side.  To make matters MORE interesting, I checked Amazon.  You can see the same thing!  Therefore, they just scan them in by hand?!  You would think the record labels could provide digital high quality images of their cover art!  You know that the companies have super high resolution copies which don't have to be subjected to the laser printing which leads to moire and lower quality in general.

Anyway, we have 170 album covers scanned in at the moment with an estimated 500 total so we are doing relatively well.  Here are my steps for anyone interested:

1. Pull out album art and wipe with clean tissue paper.
2. Place on flatbed scanner with small gap above it but flush against right side.
3. Alt + S to scan the selected area (I always leave it selected to the correct area)
4. Repeat about 40 times.
5. Macro F2 to apply Auto Contrast, Auto Color, & Auto Levels then minimize each image.
6. Open one image at a time, crop, and fix obvious issues, like missing areas or dots of dust, miscoloration, etc.
7. Save at 100% quality JPG.  I end up with about 300KB for mostly white images or 1.5MB for more complex items.
8. We save images to a special folder on my server with random letters & numbers so they don't overwrite.  I then go through one by one and rename to Folder.jpg, copying them to the appropriate folder.  The scanning process is around 1 minute per image (using slower USB 1.1 with newer scanner).  The fixing and saving process takes a bit over a minute.  Finally, relocating takes around 10 seconds at most.  This yields a total of maybe 3 minutes per image.

The images are scanned at 300 DPI, giving me about 1500x1500 to work with.  I have the crop feature set to 1200x1200 and I am able to crop quite a bit of border off without requiring interpolation.  In other words, I never crop it less than 1200x1200, so I am taking more information and scruntching it vs. taking less and enlarging it.  This has been working quite well.  I will eventually catch up with scanning and have to wait for the ripping process because scanning is much faster than ripping!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 07:42:22 am »

I actually am not even going to use the Custom Art thing.  I would rather just duplicate the image in each directory where an image doesn't exist because this means I don't have to make a Custom Art folder on 7 computers and it also means that I can know that every directory has album art.

So rather than put it in 7 folders you're going to put in how many folder that don't have cover art?

gholliger

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 11:51:15 am »

remember there are two images, a "NoThumb.png" for use in file lists etc. and a "NoTile.png" for use in the library browser views.

You can go to your MC install directory and create the folder: \Data\Custom Art\ and place the two chosen files in there. MC will then use these by default and not over-write them when installing an update.

I tried that but MC still uses the default.
Do I need to do something to get MC to pick up the new art?
Pages: [1]   Go Up