INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New HTPC setup - looking for advice  (Read 1486 times)

ingram3480

New HTPC setup - looking for advice
« on: November 01, 2006, 12:37:10 pm »

I'm going to build a HTPC to replace my existing P3 733mhz slow system (which doesn't have enough disk either).  This system will be 95% dedicated to MC and 5% web surfing.

I have two options:

1)  transplant my old motherboard and P4 2.8ghz single core CPU (and 1gb ram) that I have laying around into a new case with plenty of hard drive capacity
2)  trade up to a newer motherboard and new CPU along with the new case and HD capacity

My P4 is a couple of years old and of course single core.  Anything I buy new would probably be dual core.   Another factor is noise as this will be out in my media gear rack in the living room so if all else is equal I would go with a quieter system.  I know MC in general isn't a big CPU user but thought I'd check in with the expertise of the MC forum members for advice of single core VS dual core (think of theater view or APE to MP3 conversion as potential MC CPU tasks.)

The case I like the best is   http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-lc16m.htm  Does anyone have experience with this case or one of the other similar Silverstone cases?  Especially fan noise.

Opinions? 

Thanks - Larry

Pages: [1]   Go Up