INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Portable To Get?  (Read 1399 times)

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
What Portable To Get?
« on: July 08, 2006, 02:13:08 pm »

She needs to be able to play music for 8-10 hrs and probably would need 10-20 gig of media storage. She is not interested in video or photo (for the portable)

She'll be drawing music from my mp3 library mostly, but will also be downloading some as well.

This portable must play well MC 11.1 of course.

I sure could use some recommendations to consider as my knowledge in this area is very limited. Jay.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Re: What Portable To Get?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 03:35:01 pm »

I would get the 30gb iPod.  Works well with MC.  Very small in size for the capacity offered.

edbro

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 03:51:22 pm »

A big consideration is the type of drive; flash or hard drive.

A hard drive based player will give you more capacity. But, they are more fragile and prone to failure if you do things like jog with them. Even without rough usage, the drives are mechanical and need to be treated with a little care.

A flash based player is limited by size but is pure solid state. Much more reliable. You can get flash based drives up to 6Gbs currently and 8Gb drives are around the corner.

If all you need is 8-10 hours at a time, flash drives will certainly give this to you.  A 6GB flash drive will give you 128 hours using 128kbps MP3.

I have had both now. I had a Rio Karma with a 20Gb hard drive. It was a great machine but eventually, the hard drive failed. I now have a Sansa E270, 6GB flash based player that I really like.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 10:27:13 pm »

I also have a Sansa e270 with 6GB of flash storage and find it very well worth the price.  Flash based players are more expensive at the moment and offer up to 6GB at the moment but I have read that Sandisk is going to be releasing an 8GB version sometime (who knows when) and most likely increase beyond that level, too.  Don't forget that the Sansa has an expansion slot as well so you could add around 1GB or more, too, but syncing would be tough.  Not sure how you would tell MC to sync the same list of songs with 2 destinations--perhaps that will be added in a future version.
Pages: [1]   Go Up