INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up a "wife view"  (Read 1248 times)

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Setting up a "wife view"
« on: July 05, 2006, 07:32:22 pm »

My wife is less than tech savvy.  She has an iPod nano and every 2-4 weeks she updates all the music on there with new music for listening to at work.  When she gets sick of it she pulls all the music off and puts new stuff on.

The problem is that even if I show her how to do it, a few weeks later she has forgotten.  It's hard to tell her to go under "devices" to take the music off and then go to "audio", scroll down to "Robin's View" (which filters out all of my music" to put music on.

Is there a way that I can set up a top-level category called "Robin" that has two sub-items, one of which is her iPod and the other is her filtered music? This would be a huge time saver.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Setting up a "wife view"
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 02:38:10 am »

Yes. Are you using v11.1?

Assuming the answer is yes...

In the tree, select playing now.

Now, using the top toolbar, where you have File | Edit | View | Player | etc. etc.
click on Edit, then on Add View Scheme.
For pure simplicity, add an Artist and an Album pane in step 1.
untick 'auto name' and call it Robin
In step 4, type in: [media type]=audio
and finally, click OK

You should now see a top level node called Robin

From here, you can play around yourself to get to what works best for you.
If I've understood you correctly, I'd be tempted to set up the view scheme called "Robin" so that it shows her filtered music when selected. You would do this in step 4 by adding the rules to filter Robin's music after [media type]=audio

Then, right click on Robin, choose 'add view scheme' and set up Robins ipod viewscheme. If you place a tick in the option that goes something like "honour parent view search rules", the ipod viewscheme (which will be a sub-item of Robin) will, by default, only list music from Robin's filtered list.

Still with me?

If not, just shout. help is never far away.

-marko.

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Setting up a "wife view"
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 09:56:04 am »

Actually, what I am looking for is a way to do essentially this:

I want to create a view that has two sub categories, one is the filtered music and two is the ipod. 

The difficulty is in getting her to remember where the ipod is, "devices" may be intuitive to all of us, but to many it's unclear that she needs to look there.

If I can put the two elements into one category (it can be anywhere on the tree) - it would be even cooler if it could be a top level item that I could name "updating ipod", then the two sub items would be an audio view and a device view.

Does this make sense?
Pages: [1]   Go Up