INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Podcasts: Does MC support 1) bookmarks, or 2) "Enhanced" M4A files?  (Read 7994 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I've read that both mp3 and m4a podcasts support bookmarks that will return to the last location whenever you open them (like audible files do.)  This isn't working in MC right now with the podcasts I've tried.  Is this something that isn't supported by MC?

Also, does MC "fully" support the "enhanced" m4a podcasts?  I've read some posts from people saying they've had some issues with m4a files, so is it generally recommended to use the mp3 versions of podcasts with MC at this time?

Thanks,

Larry

TraumaHound

• Recent member
Re: Podcasts: Does MC support 1) bookmarks, or 2) "Enhanced" M4A files?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 11:19:21 am »

This topic has been viewed in excess of 75 times however there has been no response from JRiver reps.

And here, no response to these users either.

I posted on this a while back.  Granted, the responses in this thread provided a workaround to play M4A files on my device but I never received any answer regarding MC's support of enchanced M4A files (i.e. files with bookmarking).

To summarize my post, M4A files were being transferred to my iPod as video files which is incorrect since M4A denotes "audio" if I'm not mistaken.  The files in this state on the iPod do not play.  I was then told to update MC preferences to 'treat" M4A files as "audio" and not "video".  I don't exactly recall where this was done but I did that and was able to play the audio on the iPod however, the bookmarks are not supported.

On the same system, I tested transferring the same files to the iPod through iTunes (my favorite application...not).  But in this case, iTunes delivered.  Delivered meaning that the M4A file was transferred to the iPod, as an audio file with bookmark functionality (and bookmark imaging) intact.

On the same system, iTunes is able to play the file with the bookmarking images.  MC is able to play the file but does not display any of the bookmarking images.

MC as of the latest version, does not appear to support this.  Now, I'm not all that concerned with MC 11 actually playing these files with the bookmark support, but I would prefer it if MC's transfer process didn't corrupt the M4A files and simply transferred them to my iPod fully intact.

My question is, will development acknowledge/investigate this particular issue and whether or not ultimately it will be supported?  At the very least, investigate/resolve the issue where the files are being transferred to the device in a state such that the bookmarks are disabled/corrupted?  I don't believe it's a stretch for people to view MC as a "replacement" for iTunes (a $40 replacement).  This is evidenced by the number of people at the iLounge forums that recommend MC 11 highly for that very purpose.  As such, I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation that enhanced m4A files would be handled without the awkward results users are experiencing now.  But I'm getting the sense, not noticing any effective response to this issue, that MC dev / product management is not terribly concerned with this.

Some feedback on this would be appreciated.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 12:35:17 pm »

The latest iPod software bookmarks MP3 files in addition to the 'special' M4A files.  MC correctly sets this flag on any file with the genre of 'Podcast', so your iPod will bookmark normal MP3 files with that Genre.

The ideal solution some have asked for is manual control over the special flags that the iPod uses for these features, but so far this has not happened.

In addition to lack of specific file support, MC currently doesn't support dynamic playlists on the iPod.  MC also insists on sending over cover-art (if enabled) whether the track has cover art or not.  If there is no cover art, you get the MC logo instead of extra screen space for track info.

However, the support MC does have for the iPod is amazing given the closed nature of that system.  All in all, it does a very good job.

TraumaHound

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 01:01:06 pm »

I perhaps am using the wrong term here.  M4A files have the ability to contain "chapters".  Each chapter can be configured with a visual image.  Some people call them bookmarks but that can be dangerous since MC and other media management apps do indeed transfer bookmarkable MP3s or other audio files (i.e. the ability to play back from a point in the file where the user left it last).  I'm not talking about Podcasts necessarily and MC indeed flags my files as Podcasts so that they show up in the Podcast menu on my iPod.  That's actually the main reason why I purchased MC.  What I'm talking about ultimately are "enhanced" M4A files that have chaptering and chapter images.

Let me state that I in no way think that this is an application that is lacking.  I have praised it a good amount in these forums and I have recommended it to at least 5 people.  The disappointment comes from the lack of response to a number of user inquiries regarding "enhanced" or "chaptered" M4A files.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 01:22:43 pm »

TramaHound - what you are talking about is indeed 'chapters', not 'bookmarks' (even Apple calls them 'chapters').  The original posted was talking specifically about bookmarks in his first sentence, and MC DOES support them in MP3 files as long as the genre is 'Podcast'.

I haven't messed with enhanced podcasts in a while, since they are of little use to me.  I am typically listening to them while I work/drive/mow/fly/etc. and don't want to be constantly looking at the screen to see what has changed.

It would be nice to see this supported, but it may take some backwards engineering to do properly and the developers just don't have time right now.  Apple isn't exactly open out the iTunes/iPod interface, and is even less so about some of the special features that set them apart.

TraumaHound

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 01:51:45 pm »

The chapters however do serve in a similar fashion as bookmarks do in that you can navigate to a chapter point however I understand my misclassification and that "chapter" is indeed the more appropriate term here.  The visual element, in some cases is not as important as being able to move back and forth between chapters or sections.  This can be done, of course, while fumbling with the iPod at 65 mph.  ;)

With regards to M4P vs. MP3, MC in my experience has not supported chaptering or chaptering images.  That's fine by me as I hardly ever use MC as a player and that's easily an enhancement request.  My concern is, I would like for MC not to "corrupt" my M4P files in the transfer to my device, breaking the enhanced M4P functionality.  Anapod and iTunes (as one would expect) transfers these files without incident.  I would like for MC to do the same.  That is arguably a bug.

TraumaHound

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 12:07:22 pm »

Any feedback on the corrupted M4A files issue?
Pages: [1]   Go Up