INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Love Media Jukebox... Hate this forum...  (Read 1840 times)

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
Love Media Jukebox... Hate this forum...
« on: September 14, 2002, 02:38:12 am »

OK with a sensationalist topic header like that I will immediately try and diffuse the steam by stateing outright I dont mean the participants / users / developers / or the JRiver team...

What I mean is this forum SW is primitive ugly and not very professional at all...

There no spellchecking...
The preview and back buttons lose posts on a 50/50 basis...
Theres no PM'ing ability...

I think MJ is a big time app and its got a small time forum... UBB or VB make great products at reasonable reg fees but there are a whole host of other free forum products out there too...

http://www.ikonboard.com/
http://www.yabbforum.com/

Buddy of mine set up a nice one using Fitz or frotz or similar but not currently running it.. Free and nice system

http://www.forumco.com/ Banner ads unless register
http://squishdot.org/ Open source if that appeals

And hers a mondo link with a compliation of free forums all ranked by user input....

http://www.freecenter.com/forums.html

I know you guys are busy but as more and more users join MJ and as it is becoming the default support area you owe it to yourselves to put some thought into this... The devil you know is worse than the devil you dont...

This way you can have MJv8 forum seperate from MJv9 beta and development / feature suggestion (where you can killfile and ignore me to your hearts content ) and have it much more controlled for the new users that first appear here...

Hope you know my critisms are supposed to be constructive...PAGE NAME
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

nila

RE:Love Media Jukebox... Hate this forum...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2002, 02:55:38 am »

I have to agree.
This forum does have the great fact that everyone reads all the posts as they're in all together but that has a lot of downsides.
Suggestions for improovements get lost in between bug reports and just general comments or chit chat between forum members.
Bug reports for v9 get read by users just coming to the forum who then wrongly get the impression that v8 has a lot of bugs in it.

Searching is slow and tedious and returns results that are nothing to do with what I want.
I did a search yesterday and it literally took around 3 minutes to complete and that's on a 512 kb/s line. The page returned was huge and would have logged up any slow connection and computer and the results it had weren't particularly useful to me. I ended up just browsing the forum instead.

Things like sticky threads for you to make important info stay at the top, forums for v7, v8, v9 beta, fast searches which return valid results etc.
These are all things that will be hugely welcomed and the size of this forum is growing FAST. I come here a few times a day and even so the number of new posts is usually reaching the end of the page.
The forum's growing fast and I think it's time it advanced :)

sekim

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2002, 03:11:34 am »

Hmmmm....

Jim had already mentioned that the forum would change later this year.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2002, 03:18:54 am »

Sorry if you see it as whining... That was not my intention and I had hoped I had included enough caveats and disclaimers that I wanted it to be seen as constructive that it would go over as such...

I also thought that providing some research into other forum types and links may be helpful and did not know that Jim had said a new forum was being created... Again I dont want this to be a knock at JRiver or a whine just to elaborate on the fact that the forum is not what it could be and that creating a better one may server the community that resides here better...

Although I know nothing about forum SW I know someone else who without any prior knowledge set one up for his personal site... I would be happy to volenteer to assist in anyway I can with testing / setup / debuging / etc... Happy to help anyway constrictively I can...
HTPC Front ends  

sekim

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2002, 03:35:41 am »

Phat-

May have been a little harsh. My apologies. Was not my intention. Just a point out of a profile...

Jim and company are aware of the growing need for this. I agree, Interact needs updating. It was brought up several times in the past weeks. Especially since v9 has been tossed into the fray.

If I'm not mistaken, they have more pressing matters at hand now. And the forum will probably take a back seat for a while.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2002, 03:37:49 am »

And in the same vien of staying constructive... Another one of my hangouts is Harmonic Discord http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forums/ and it appears that they are using phpBB which is also free SW... http://www.phpbb.com/

This forum provides almost all of what you could ask of it... Stuff like PM'ing and a more unifed UI et al...

I know absolutely nothing about PHP I am afraid just trying to point to better mousetraps...

If Jim has stated that they are going to different forum SW then perhaps some discussion about what is useful in forum SW and what is desired v what it takes to maintain and or cost would be a good thing to elaborate on... All this is valuable to MJ for future development..
HTPC Front ends  

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2002, 03:41:48 am »

POSTS CROSSED EACH OTHER....

Dont worry I dont take offense easily... I did not know that previous threads had addressed this or that Jim had stated it was happening sometime in the future...

I also understand that time is limted for everyone and that v9 is taking prescidence but the simple truth is there is always something on the horizon that occupies time...

Again any way I can help with the limited skill I have I will gladly do so...
HTPC Front ends  

sekim

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2002, 03:46:34 am »

>>> Again any way I can help with the limited skill I have I will gladly do so... <<<

Yeah right...I wish I had that kind of limited skill.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2002, 04:06:47 am »

Yeah, I brought this up back when 8 was still in beta. At the time, many of the users stated that they liked things the way they are. There seems to be more of a trend towards wanting change, though. Or so it seems.

What I'm wondering is if any of the other software packages have a good (and hopefully better) replacement for the wishlist?

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2002, 04:42:00 am »

Phred,
Your kid is ugly too.

We'll get around to it.  

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2002, 04:51:02 am »

LOL... Good answer !!

So ugly we had to tie a steak around her neck to get the dog to play with her...

BTW your real baby is looking sweet with the red planet skin...
HTPC Front ends  
Pages: [1]   Go Up