INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I delete a field from files?  (Read 1215 times)

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
How can I delete a field from files?
« on: July 27, 2006, 08:23:42 pm »

I created a custom field and checked the "Store in file tags (when possible)" option. I now want to delete this field and have it removed from the file tags. When I delete it it does seem to dissappear, but it isn't being deleted from the tags. There are two reasons I know this. 1) because MC doesn't show the "update xxx files" message at the bottom of the screen and 2) because if I recreate the field it is populated instantly with the old values.

So, how can I delete a field and have it removed from tags?

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How can I delete a field from files?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 08:39:54 pm »

Do a 'remove all tags', followed by 'update tags from library'.  May take a while, but that will do the trick.  Note that this will also remove embedded images.

As an alternative, use a third party tagging tool to remove the MC custom tags from all files, then do an 'update tags from library'

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 08:56:23 pm »

I'm willing to do that, but is there an automatic way to put the images back? I do have them stored as folder.jpg files as well, if that helps.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 10:39:06 pm »

If you have the image embeded, it would be much faster to use something like ID3TagIt (http://freewarewiki.pbwiki.com/Id3TagIt) to clean up the tags.  Then re-tag from library.

It can take a long time to re-add all the images to a large library.

Otherwise check your store image locations and just use 'Image > Quick Find In File/Cover Art Directory' to re-add all the folder.jpg images.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 05:43:00 am »

The correct way is to remove the field values inside MC. MC does not save empty tags to the files.

You should recreate the field, select the files and remove the field contents.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up