INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: View Scheme Based on Part of File Path  (Read 981 times)

tpascaru

• Recent member
View Scheme Based on Part of File Path
« on: July 31, 2006, 09:45:08 pm »

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a view scheme for my photo collection. I have my directories set up as d:\blah\blah1\blah2\albumname\photos.jpg

Is there a way to get part of the filepath as a display element for a view scheme? I would like to display only the albumname field (omit all the path elements before that). I saw there was a "mid" function. If there was a string search function, I could search for the "/" character and try to return the last element of the file path.

Thanks!
-Ted

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: View Scheme Based on Part of File Path
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 02:21:08 am »

when you say "element for a viewscheme", which element do you have in mind? Thumbnail text?

Mid() would only work correctly if the path, and 'albumname' were always the same length.

=============================
I suggest: (assuming you would like to keep the default [album] data already present)

If albumname is not derived from a field in your database, then create a new custom field. tools > options > library > add. Call it what you like, albumname perhaps?
leave everything else at their defaults for now and click the OK button.

Next, select a couple of photos, then, right click > library tools > fill properties from filename. In the directory field, type [albumname], (or whatever you called your new field, without the comma), untick the filename field, and hit OK.

Next, right click on any file on view, choose customise current view, place [albumname] in the thumbnail text area, hit OK. If that's what you want, select all the files and repeat the fill properties step above.

If that's not what you want, could you be a bit more specific?
:)

tpascaru

• Recent member
Re: View Scheme Based on Part of File Path
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 09:14:01 am »

Thanks Marko,

Your suggestion is close to what I'm looking for. I am trying to get the albumname as one of the fields in the organization tree. Your suggestion worked.. the only thing I was hoping is that I wouldn't have to do a "fill properties from filename" whenever I add additional photos to my library. So -- would there be a way for MC to automatically do so for new files in a designated folder on my disk whenever I do a new import?

Cheers
-Ted
Pages: [1]   Go Up