INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Larry's iPod Setup Guide for Media Center 11.1  (Read 4632 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Larry's iPod Setup Guide for Media Center 11.1
« on: February 27, 2006, 04:03:52 am »

[ EDIT -- The standard MC11.1 / iPod setup will serve most users well:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=29623.0
Thanks to Larry for these additional notes. -- JimH, moderator ]

[ EDIT -- I should clarify that my guide is not "mandatory" for using the iPod with MC11.1.  My guide simply utilizes the more advanced smartlist, tagging, and view scheme features of MC to allow much easier and more powerful management capabilities for iPods.  In other words, my guide takes advantage of MC's highly customizable configuration to help automate much of this process, and makes the task of managing song lists for one or more iPods much quicker and easier.

I renamed this thread back to "Guide" rather than "Notes" since I don't think "notes" is an accurate description of this document.  This is a full fledged "guide" that has step by step instructions and detailed explanations for the entire process.  I hope that it's okay to keep the "guide" name. -- Larry ]

Here is the New and Improved "Larry's iPod Setup Guide" designed to work with Media Center 11.1.

The official title is "iPod Song Management with JRiver Media Center 11.1: Larry's iPod Setup Guide."

Changes from the MC 10 version of the guide were necessary in order to accomodate the new menu structure as well as some of the new features in MC 11.1 (such as MC's ability to remember which smartlist you want each individual iPod to use.)

A "JRiver" link will most likely be available eventually, but for now I'll give the links to my own ftp site where you can get either the html or the word .doc format.

Note that there are some improvements to the setup from the earlier version that makes it a bit more streamlined, and the layout of the document was changed to make the specific steps easier to follow.  The new layout results in a higher page count, but this is largely due to the fact that each specific user action is given it's own line starting with ">".  I found that it was easier to follow the steps this way without getting "lost" in the middle of paragraphs.

Thanks for being patient while I created the new document, which took vastly longer than I had anticipated.

Here is the link to the html document:

http://home.socal.rr.com/lalittle/Media%20Center%20iPod%20docs/iPod%20Song%20Management%20with%20Media%20Center%2011.1.htm

Here is the link to the word document (created with Word 2003):

http://home.socal.rr.com/lalittle/Media%20Center%20iPod%20docs/iPod%20Song%20Management%20with%20Media%20Center%2011.1.doc

The JRiver administrators may want to make this a sticky thread (like the previous one was.)

Assuming a JRiver link is made available I'll put it in this post.  I'll most likely continue to offer the document via my personal links as well, however, since I can easily make changes and immediatly post the new versions to my personal site.

Enjoy,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Larry's iPod Setup Guide -- NEW for Media Center 11.1.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 01:35:56 am »

The document has been updated to version 3.35 to include the return of the "[Filename (Path)]" rule in Step 1 as well as a few other minor fixes.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 06:40:52 am »

As of build 135 of MC11.1, the "Handheld Options" cannot be edited without the iPod connected to the system.  I do not yet know if this is a bug or by design, but my guide currently says that you CAN edit these options without the iPod actually connected (which was the case as of version 121 of MC11.1.  I'm waiting to hear whether this a bug or if it's by design before I change the document, but at the moment, the "Step 6" part of the the guide is incorrect in this regard.  If this is not a bug, I'll alter my instructions accordingly.

UPDATE:  JRiver confirmed that this change was by design.  I'll therefore be changing Step 6 of the document.  Watch for version 3.36 or higher.

Larry

georgem29

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 09:54:43 pm »

Really good stuff.  Thanks for all your effort to put this together.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Larry's iPod Setup Guide for Media Center 11.1
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 09:52:30 pm »

Thanks georgem29.

Version 3.36 is now posted.  This version accomodates the fact that MC now requires an iPod to be connected and visible to MC in order to change the iPod's options (Step 6 of the guide.)

To any moderaters here:  Would it be possible to make this thread sticky so it doesn't just get lost down the list?  I'd like this guide to be highly visible so that as many people as possible can benefit from it.  If the thread isn't sticky, people who aren't specifically looking for this document will not know it exists, which would be a shame after all the work.

Thanks,

Larry

Agren

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 10:22:40 am »

Quote from: lalittle
To any moderaters here:  Would it be possible to make this thread sticky so it doesn't just get lost down the list?  I'd like this guide to be highly visible so that as many people as possible can benefit from it.  If the thread isn't sticky, people who aren't specifically looking for this document will not know it exists, which would be a shame after all the work.

Thanks,

Larry

I second Larrys motion, and seeing that this guide was the main reason I bought MC it'd probably be good for business as well.

Thank's for the exellent work Larry!

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 09:48:38 pm »

I second Larrys motion, and seeing that this guide was the main reason I bought MC it'd probably be good for business as well.

Thank's for the exellent work Larry!

Thanks Agren -- I appreciate the compliments and really enjoy hearing that people are using the guide.  I'm not sure why the guide was taken off the "sticky" list, or why the MC help document no longer mentions the guide (it did a while back.)

The capability to set MC up in this manner was also one of the reasons I purchased MC.  I don't think most people realize just how powerful MC is in this regard, and that the better grasp you get on MC's capabilities, the more you realize just how superior this program is compared to the competition (such as iTunes.)

Thanks again,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up