INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quicktime (Or lack of Quicktime) problems  (Read 1650 times)

nedam

• Junior Woodchuck
Quicktime (Or lack of Quicktime) problems
« on: November 24, 2006, 12:16:03 pm »

I don't know if this is really the forum to post this in but I am using the Beta release.  I installed the FFDShow and MP4Splitter (and registered the splitter) so that I could get rid of Quicktime.  It seemed to work and I un-installed Quicktime. Now when I play a m4a file it plays perfectly but when MC 12 tries to move to the next song (m4a) I get an error message asking if I want to download the latest Quicktime. I get the same error if I try to move from a mp3 to a m4a.  I have looked through the forums and tried many different settings but have had no luck trying to fix the problem.  Help!

Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Quicktime (Or lack of Quicktime) problems
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 12:29:11 pm »

Just to check...

You have gone into Options --> Playback --> DirectShow Playback Settings and checked the boxes next to M4A and MP4?

Otherwise... Why are you so determined to rid yourself of Quicktime?  If you don't like the Apple-provided product, Quicktime Alternative works splendidly, and will let you play back MOV files as well (which FFDSHOW and the MP4Splitter apps won't handle).

In fact, in some ways, Quicktime Alternative is actually better than the "real" Quicktime from Apple.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

nedam

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 01:12:48 pm »

Glynor thanks for the reply.

Yes the proper boxes are checked under DirectShow Playback Settings. In fact all boxes are checked and were by default.  I assume this is the right configuration.

You are probably correct in that I should just leave Quicktime installed but I have always disliked having any software installed that was not absolutely needed and Quicktime in particular because it has always seemed (To me.) to be so invasive.  Of course I consider RealPlayer to be the worst culprit as far as changing settings and adding additional software I did not need or want and do not have it installed on any of my PCs.

As far as quality of output is there no difference between any of the three options? (Qucktime, Directshow and Quicktime Alternative)

As far as playback and m4a files I assume the none of these choices uses the ASIO output mode in MediaCenter.  Is that correct?

Thanks again

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 02:43:24 pm »

Quality will be identical between Quicktime "Official" and Quicktime Alternative.  QT Alternative simply provides DirectShow filters to allow DirectShow players like MPC, WiMP, and MC to play back the files (without having the real Quicktime Player installed).  Same goes for RealAlternative (and I completely agree -- I'd never have Real installed on any of my systems).  Quicktime isn't quite as bad IMHO (though I don't like iTunes and it's system services), but the QT Alt is just as good and not evil at all.

I happen to own Quicktime Pro, and use Macs a lot so I keep the "official" package on my machines.

As far as actual MP4 and M4A playback, I'd probably stick to FFDSHOW if it's working.  I use Haali as my splitter instead of MP4Splitter.  YMMV.  I like the new beta builds of Haali (included with CCCP's Betas as well).  Yaobing (one of the main developers of MC) tends to like MP4Splitter better.  To each their own!

Having Quicktime or QT Alternative will help though, as MC will "detect" that QT is there.  MC uses Quicktime as the "fall back" if playback fails for many MPEG-4 media types.

Since your playback works properly, but gives the error with second file, I suspect that this is a bug that needs quashed.  However, to solve it for you in the interim, I bet that installing QT Alternative will make it go away.  The other possibility is that your second file happens to be "broken" in some way that's preventing MP4Splitter or FFDSHOW from rendering it.  I assume that you've tried "starting play from scratch" with some of the same files that cause the error though when played "second" (and if so, then obviously they're not broken)...

You might have to re-set FFDSHOW's CODEC page options to tell it to use libavcodec for MPEG-4 decoding again after you install QT Alt (not sure).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

nedam

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 03:18:07 pm »

Great information Glynor.  I will continue to try to get DirectShow working and if I can't will go to one of the alternatives. 

Yes I did try with several different files\songs and it is always the same.  All I have to do to make the second song play is click the Stop or Pause button.  Then the second song will play as soon as I double click it.  Odd thing really.

Thanks for the return post the help is appreciated.

Nedam

DaremoS

• World Citizen
  • Rock is not just music... is a way of living
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 02:41:54 pm »

I have had the same problem today.
I was happy listening some m4a and suddenly in song 4 of 10 started to appear that annoying message of Quicktime.
In fact Quicktime is almost a Trojan, is a disgusting and invasive program that I have not been able to get rid completely.
Why Mediacenter 12.0.222 which I've payed for as Guillermo Moyano since Media Jukebox is allowing Quicktime to put such messages if I dont want to have it???
Since that message MC 12 wont read my m4a again!!?
Pages: [1]   Go Up