INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: User Database Holding All Settings?  (Read 1511 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
User Database Holding All Settings?
« on: August 10, 2006, 09:53:18 pm »

Will MC 12 finally move all user settings to the database?  This is my number one feature request at the moment besides the features already added.  I am testing version 12 right now and think it looks quite nice but would like more info on my feature request.

benn600

Re: User Database Holding All Settings?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 10:07:29 pm »

After looking at the database files and its size, it seems somewhat obvious that the settings are not stored there.  I would love to see settings, plugins, skins, etc. all stored there because then after a format, you have nothing to worry about except backing up your library database.

Would there be a way to slip this probably very complicated feature in for MC 12?  What about an installation file that would at least set some basics--kind of like loading MC defaults upon install?  One problem is that if I forget to uncheck "store ratings in files" then my other databases get ruined upon updating.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 05:20:01 am »

All missing things are stored in the Windows registry instead of the regular database files. I think that only some of the options and settings could be ported even if a library backup file would contain a "reg" file too. Different MC versions use a partially different system for storing things in the registry. Also, some of the registry keys are HW depended so they could work only with a similar HW configuration.

However, ratings are part of the regular database and should appear normally after an upgarade if the old library is loaded by a library restore or by defining an existing library folder in the Library Manager.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

benn600

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 11:57:44 am »

I understand that ratings are stored in the database but I really would like to request more settings be stored in the library file.  Even better yet--offer a library and a settings file.  Upon creating a library, there would be a checkbox that says "Use internal settings" or you could leave it unchecked and then create a "settings" profile--you could mix and match settings & libraries or just keep them linked together in one folder.

I just came to the conclusion after seeing how well Firefox and Thunderbird handle profiles.  They keep every piece of user data stored in the profile folder.  It's so nice to be able to point it to the correct folder and be done.

Anyway--that's my top request so if you could, that would be absolutely amazing, but it might take at least another version (Media Center 13--oooh).  Great work on MC 12!  I absolutely love the interface updates.

benn600

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 12:02:41 pm »

Another big issue is that customized views don't work properly.  If I configure the fields shown on an item and then move to another computer, they don't show up--so this information isn't stored in the library.  Presets are not stored in the database, either.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 01:42:29 pm »

Currently the only way to export and import the saved view presets is to use the Registry Editor. The saved values are located in these Windows registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 12\Properties: View Settings - Column Presets

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 12\Properties: View Settings - Sorting Presets

A word of warning: Don't touch the registry if don't know what these lines mean and how the Registry Editor can be used safely.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up