INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lack of TV Listing Support?  (Read 2648 times)

Tanoshimi

• Junior Woodchuck
Lack of TV Listing Support?
« on: August 17, 2006, 06:39:12 pm »

I have an ATI all-in-wonder and the software it comes with includes GuidePlus for viewing what's on (now and later) and to set up future recordings.  It seems like this is missing from MC.

As a programmer, I have written two different programs that provide TV Guides and the ability to select future recordings.  One downloads XMLTV data, the other displays the listing from www.tvguide.com/listings and monitors your selection.  Both (could) change the channel to any show selected that's currently playing, and setup reminders/recordings for future shows.

What I'm getting at is, hopefully any new releases of MC (I think we're on 12?) will incorporate something like that into Theater View (or in general).  Possibly they can give a programmer access to the TV module through plugins so several people can develop TV Listing/Scheduling plugins.  Anyone else interested in seeing that?
-Tano

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Lack of TV Listing Support?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 07:09:43 pm »

I have an ATI all-in-wonder and the software it comes with includes GuidePlus for viewing what's on (now and later) and to set up future recordings.  It seems like this is missing from MC.

As a programmer, I have written two different programs that provide TV Guides and the ability to select future recordings.  One downloads XMLTV data, the other displays the listing from www.tvguide.com/listings and monitors your selection.  Both (could) change the channel to any show selected that's currently playing, and setup reminders/recordings for future shows.

What I'm getting at is, hopefully any new releases of MC (I think we're on 12?) will incorporate something like that into Theater View (or in general).  Possibly they can give a programmer access to the TV module through plugins so several people can develop TV Listing/Scheduling plugins.  Anyone else interested in seeing that?
-Tano
I'm very interested. In fact I asked for it already a long time ago.
I have many other wishes for the TV-section of MC (for example scheduling of recordings, logos for TV-channels, recording and watching TV at the same time when you have two or more TV-tuner cards). I think MC is superior when it comes to music, but needs a lot improvements in the TV-section to be able to compete with a program like MediaPortal (which is very poor when it comes to music)
A day without laughing is a day without living

Tanoshimi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 07:13:07 pm »

Well, I'm currently trying to modify my program so it will generate MC Scheduled events, but until I figure out how they're saving them, I can't set mine up to do so.  If I do, let me know and I'll set you up with my software.  I understand you can create a new button in theater view to run a third party program.  You could set it up to run my program, which would generate scheduled tasks in MC.
-Tano

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 09:43:13 am »

Currently there is no such interface in the SDK. It is possible for us to add to the SDK a new TV interface with, for example, a function like ScheduleRecording, that takes a channel data and start and end times.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Tanoshimi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 10:12:16 am »

Yaobing,
    That would be excellent!  If the SDK could allow plugins to change channels and schedule recordings, My software/plugin will emulate the cable/satellite preview guide allowing you to change channels and set up recordings.  I even have access to episode ID's so you can setup a season ticket and not get 5 copies of the same show.  I can make this stuff available if you (or anyone) wants.
-Tano

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 10:52:07 am »

If the SDK could allow plugins to change channels and schedule recordings,

So a PlayChannel function that plays a currently available channel, and a ScheduleRecording that schedules recording a show would be what is needed?

Berto

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 12:20:50 pm »

So a PlayChannel function that plays a currently available channel, and a ScheduleRecording that schedules recording a show would be what is needed?
And the possibility to watch and record TV simultaneously when two or more tv-tuner cards are available.

A day without laughing is a day without living

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 02:08:28 pm »

And the possibility to watch and record TV simultaneously when two or more tv-tuner cards are available.

This will be more complicated, and is not related to the SDK question.

If the SDK could allow plugins to change channels and schedule recordings, My software/plugin will emulate the cable/satellite preview guide allowing you to change channels and set up recordings. 

The scheduled recording is useful for antenna and basic cable channels that do not require a cable box. For satellite and cable channels that require a decoder box, there is no way for us to change the channel on the box.

Tanoshimi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 04:03:55 pm »

As far as the SDK goes, I would think TunerAvailable(Boolean), GetCurrentChannel, SetCurrentChannel, and SetScheduler should do it.  Additional commands to get a list of available channels, and/or information about the tuner might be nice.  Thanks for listening Yao.

Also, and I know this isn't the proper forum for this (sorry), I wrote a media library a while back, and I kept a variable all plugins could access call Command.  It was a basic form of scripting that allowed communication back and forth.  Anytime a plugin (or the main mod) did something, it changed the variable to report what it just did.  This allowed other plugins to respond.  You could also send commands (Library.AddFile fileName) to the library or other plugins.  As long as the plugin knew the command you sent, it could do anything.  Just a suggestion for extending the capabilities of the SDK.
-Tano
Pages: [1]   Go Up