INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tracking disk name for removable media?  (Read 965 times)

dtronvig

Tracking disk name for removable media?
« on: August 19, 2006, 04:08:17 am »

I'm trying to archive a lot of albums from the hard drive and onto DVDs, and I'd like to keep track, in the library, of which DVD a particular album is on. When I move tracks to a DVD, MC just seems to remember the drive letter, in the Volume Name field. Is the actual disk name stored somewhere, or can the Volume Name be made to pick up the disk name? If it makes any difference, I'm using DLA with the DVDs.

A couple of related questions:

Can tracks be moved in MC with the original folder structure automatically preserved? At this point I'm moving tracks to the root of the DVD and then renaming from tags, reconstructing the Artist\Album folders. Not a big deal, but if there's a built-in way for MC to do that automatically I'd love to find it.

Also, can MC copy tracks and keep track of where the copies are?

Thanks,
Drew

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tracking disk name for removable media?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 07:47:01 am »

maybe this, or bits of it, could be useful for you. ---> re. Use MC as total music index

as for folder structure, when you get to the "drop files here" window, look for options, or try right clicking in there. there are opportunities for you to specify folder and filename templates for the files dropped onto the cd\dvd.

-marko.

dtronvig

Re: Tracking disk name for removable media?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 04:43:21 pm »

Hey Marko,

Thanks for the suggestion on the folder structure. I haven't found the options when Moving files, but just Renaming the files, using the DVD drive as the root directory, moves the files and reconstructs the folder structure from the tags. You just don't have the progress bar, though you pretty much know how long it will take. At this point I'll probably just Move and Rename.

I had already looked at your post about  MC as total index, and that was pretty much what I was shooting for. I just can't get the volume name of the DVD into the Volume Name field. When I do the move, MC recognizes the volume name. In the Browse for Folder window, it'll show something like "Music001 (E:)", but once the files are moved, the Volume Name just shows as E:.

When I try to manually change the Volume Name in the Tag Info window, the window shows the change, but the actual Volume Name field for the tracks doesn't change. Am I missing a setting somewhere? Since the Browse for Folder window also shows the real volume name for hard drives, it would be great to pick that up for external drives as well, so I don't have to worry about having them always appear with the same drive letters.

Thanks for any further help on this,
Drew
Pages: [1]   Go Up