INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD ripping-- copy protected CD?  (Read 1599 times)

Sunil

CD ripping-- copy protected CD?
« on: September 12, 2002, 10:42:34 am »

Hi.

My wife just got back from Germany and has a CD she would like to rip so she can listen to it on her MP3 player.  However, it indicates it has copy protection..#$*#&($*#

What is this and can I ignore it?  Haven't tried ripping, but I will get pretty pissed if their stupid copy protection means I lose fair use of the media we buy.

Really dumb truthfully.  Yes, they block you from getting illegal copies, but they also get in the way of fair use.
Grumble.

Sunil

ChicoSelfs

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:CD ripping-- copy protected CD?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2002, 11:03:20 am »

Zevele i think that this thread is going to be closed
Made in Portugal

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2002, 11:06:43 am »

Go to your Hi-fi -> Line in -> Wav, or better Hi-fi -> Digital output -> Wav
Made in Portugal

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2002, 11:08:10 am »

Isn't germany a wonderful country these days

I _hate_ this. And I live here... (and will never, ever buy a CD from Shakira again because of that >parental advisory explicit word<).

Listening to: 'Something Goin On' from 'Chartmix 1 CD2' by 'Todd Terry' on Media Jukebox9 with "slight" loudness problems, still :-)

stalag131

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2002, 11:13:50 am »

If you do use analog in, does MJ perform error correction on it?  Nero seems to have no problems ripping, but it only rips to mp3 and wav.  It takes the analog data, rips it, performs error correction, and then sends to codec.  This effectively defeats most forms of copy protection that the studios choose to try and limit my fair use.  
Has anyone else had problems with ripping copy protected cds?  (and i don't mean for distro... just want to put them on my home media server.)

zevele1

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2002, 11:31:57 am »

I had only one,i used a pen and it was ok.
But there is many legal programs who make an image of the cd.
Clone cd i think

There is also BlindWrite suite.
But there is another one free,i do not remember his name.

Will have look at my favorites and tell you

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2002, 11:51:02 am »

You can make a image from clone cd or Nero and then use isobuster to open that image like a explorer and then take off that stupid protection, that if you can record a image.
Made in Portugal

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2002, 12:01:46 pm »

The thing with CloneCD or any other "copy protected cd copy"-tool is, that it depends on the CD-drive used. With my LG-DVD-drive I cannot copy the copy protection scheme used on the Shakira-CD (but I can the copy protected game cds, if I ever would do such evil things ;-) ). Plextor drives will, but they even will without CloneCD, because they are delivered with "Plextor-tools", which have low-level access to the drive, even lower than CloneCD.

On the other hand, you might easily copy it analog (or maybe even digital, if you have such an input line in your soundcard, mine has). So you loose only some or no information. But you have _much_ more work with this. You don't have to care about secure ripping and such, because the normal CD-players only can output, what they output and no software will be able to decide, if the input is correct or corrupt.

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2002, 12:18:45 pm »

instead of clone cd use diskjuggler
Made in Portugal

zevele1

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2002, 01:07:45 pm »

FreeRip
Easy to use and   FREE

zevele1

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2002, 01:39:51 pm »

Funny,look like there is more legal programs and legal cd-drives to rip protected cds,than the number of protected cds.

I cannot test all this programs,i got only ONE protected cd and pen was the solution.

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2002, 03:42:17 pm »

Funny,look like there is more legal programs and legal cd-drives to rip protected cds,than the number of protected cds.

I Think you're right zevele never tried that pen because here the national artist's never used that cd's to record their albuns and if they do, well we have to find a way to have what we want because we buy the cd and do whatever we want to him.
Made in Portugal

zevele1

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2002, 04:05:56 pm »

I said it few times on this forum,but

On Zdnet france they tested Sony protected cds on regular cdw.
Half of them ripped the protected cd without problem.
The very funny thing is that one of the cdw ripping protected cd was a.....SONY cdw!!!!!!!!
I do not think cds are protected here.
Anyway since few months i do not buy records from big labels,first.Second i buy second hand cds or indee labels.I do not want to give one cent more to corporates labels.
There is still a lot of music to listen ,to buy out of them.

In fact real music is not on big label.If i really want the last rem or dylan,i get a pirate copy for $10 the 3 cds at the bus station.
I do not use p2p if i have less than 50.000 songs to put to share.....

To some here: i be back next week where you know

By the way.i am not a young alien wanting all for free.I have few thousands lps and cds.I gave quite a lot of money to big labels.
But not anymore.

TA and surroundings begin preparing for eventuality of incoming missiles

Jaundiced Eye

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2002, 12:20:15 am »

Look at section 1201 of the Copyright Act:

http://www.bitlaw.com/source/17usc/1201.html

Subsection 1201(a)(2) even outlaws programs that would circumvent copy protection technology.  (It is indeed an interesting question whether the CD RW makers--including Sony--violate this provision of the law.)  The exceptions--none of which allow for fair use--are complex.  There is a decent overview of the permitted exceptions to the anti-circumvention protecton at http://www.arl.org/info/frn/copy/band.html

Civil penalties in 1203:

http://www.bitlaw.com/source/17usc/1203.html

Criminal penalites in 1204:

http://www.bitlaw.com/source/17usc/1204.html

Rep. Frederick Bouch (D-Va.) has promoted a rewrite of this portion of the DMCA to allow broader fair use.  http://news.com.com/2010-1078-825335.html  Not sure the proposed legislation has gone anywhere.

RIAA's friend in Congress would like to make P2P copying illegal.  See the statement of Rep. Howard Berman (D-CA)
 Presumably, they--and more importantly the MPAA--would fight any effort to relax the 1201 anti-circumvention provisions.

PhatPhreddy

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2002, 02:25:31 am »

For a very good article (and much more than I knew about various protections) you should have a look at this link

http://www.81311.com/issue2article4.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up