INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to import MPL-Playlists into MC12  (Read 1233 times)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
How to import MPL-Playlists into MC12
« on: August 21, 2006, 06:28:22 am »

Hi J River,

I am trying to import Mpl playlists into MC12, so far I was not successful. :'( Don't know whether it is a bug or lack of how-to.

Here my installation: MC11.193 and MC12.0.57 installed in parallel.

1) I can easily import Mpl  playlists into MC11, either by using
1a) the import command on the MC11 menu, or
1b) right clicking import on Windows Explorer.
This here is a problem, as with two MC's installed, there is only one import command in Windows Explorer. Finding out with which version import works is pure guesswork (it's MC11).
In my opinion there should be two different and independent Windows Explorer entries, one for MC11 and one for MC12.  (Maybe some command to define the standard MC installation similar to IE)

2) Trying to do the same in MC 12:
2a) Importing the Mpl playlist from Windows Explorer does not work as it starts MC11 import.
2b) I have a folder of about 250 images named SalvadorDali. I moved the mpl file into the same folder and moved the folder into D:\Media\Image\Arts for Otto to recognize.
I have set D:\Media\Image as Watch folder assuming that it will watch all subfolders as well.

I can see the images in MC12 as a playlist in Recently Imported, but with no additional tags from the mpl playlist. The name field carries the given filename and not the one defined in the mpl playlist. Not a single tag is displayed from the mpl playlist.

Either I do something wrong or the mpl file ist not imported by Otto. ? I assume that Otto is working properly as the images are imported. Bear in mind: It works in MC11, so no faults with the playlists.

Any help?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: How to import MPL-Playlists into MC12
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 04:38:44 pm »

I have imported MPL files by dragging to Playing Now. (I have Otto disabled at the moment and MC11.1 handles the shell integration.)

MC12 has also another MPL problem that I reported here:

Re: Media Center 12.0.51
I cannot get previously unimported cue files imported or even the tracks correctly displayd in Playing Now. I tried all available import methods.

Also, mpl files that contain cue tracks with playback ranges don't import the tracks correctly.

The old cue tracks in a restored MC11.1 library are fine.

Also, I have posted an MPL suggestion here:

The MPL import has never been able to update existing library files. Did you try with a new empty library?

IMHO, the MPL system should be developed further. It is the only way to merge separate libraries. At least it should work as before (I have not tested this yet).

An "update existing library files" option would make it much more usable. This should work quickly without checking the disk files. I have requested this a couple of times before.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 02:25:23 pm »

Jaguu,

Metadata in a playlist will not trump (or change) data in the library.  The metadata from a playlist will only be used if the files aren't already in the library.

Also, we now track what playlists have been imported (and their last change date) so that we don't reanalyze a playlist we've already imported.

Can you use a library upgrade instead of an MPL to migrate the data?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 03:33:32 pm »

Library Upgrade?

You mean what I do now, importing mpl files in MC11 and migrating the library to MC12?
This is what I do now, but it is only a workaround to a specific problem that needs to be addressed.

In my case very often (for my art collection) image files and the corresponding tag information is in separate files and the tag information must be imported into the library. So far mpl files came in very handy.
But if you want to change this then you need some added functionality such as the one I proposed: Update tags from external file, be this a file in xls, csv, txt, xml or mpl format.

Another example would be to update Startrek episodes with tag infos that already exist in some external database. You have all the infos in a file and it needs to go into MC!
Pages: [1]   Go Up