INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Doof's List  (Read 1177 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Doof's List
« on: August 21, 2006, 05:20:20 pm »

Bugs for MC 12.0.58

New Bugs

• I have a View Scheme of Album Artist (auto) (grouped - 3)/Album Artist (auto)/Albums. In Thumbnail View of this view scheme, MC isn't displaying them alphabetically.

[/list]

Old Bugs

• With transparent menu's enabled, menus won't display properly when trying to pop up over a display window that's using G-Force as its display. Not sure who's bug that is.
  • Please see this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35240.0

It's a bug that I'm really not willing to test with each new build of MC, as it's very time consuming and CD-R wasteful. If a build comes out that looks like it addresses the problem I'll be willing to test it again, but until then, I'm just going to keep posting this message.

I think I figured this one out.

It seems like, if you add files to the CD, then change the Folder Naming options, that MC doesn't always update the folder structure properly. If you change your folder naming options and then add files, it appears to work fine.

1. Just to illustrate that all of these files have the same Genre
    2. Added all of these files to the CD using Artist/Album folder structure
    3. After changing the folder structure to Genre/Artist/Album

Click image to view full size

• Click on the DSP Studio button.

While DSP Studio's open, right click on the DSP Studio button.
Now close the DSP Studio window.
On my system, MC pops behind all of the other open windows.
  • MC doesn't remember its size when returning from a non-maximized Display View
  • MC doesn't remember its size when you have "Minimize to System Tray" set, MC is minimized, and then you close MC from the tray icon's menu
  • Whenever I go to "Add Folder To Library" it always has the folder I last added in the box. Shouldn't it clear it out from one addition to the next?
  • Occasionally when I exit, MC12 will go into "stupid mode" where it's trying to save tag changes to some file (it never tells me which one) and it can't. This wouldn't be so bad except that it never seems to give up, so I have this "Saving tag changes (1 remaining)" message on my screen forever and the only way to get out of it is to kill the MC12 process. And of course then I never get a message telling me what file it couldn't update the tag for, so I can't ever fix it.
  • The Noire Theater View skin's underpants are showing... (I'm assuming... the blue menus don't seem to really fit, so I'm assuming they're left overs from the original Hairstyle skin?)

[/list]

Requests
  • How about allowing the Display AW to show itself when you're in Playing Now and have used the splitter to hide the Playing Now Display?
  • Any chance that menu transparencies could be a Skin Effects setting rather than force users to dig for and edit an XML file to change transparency settings or turn then on or off for a skin?
  • In a Detailed view of Albums, the total number of tracks for an album is displayed under the "Track #" field. Wouldn't it be better to have that field called "Tracks" or "# Tracks" in that view?
  • And since we have these new details views, can we get smarter columns? For instance, in an Artist/Album view scheme, when your at the Artist level in Details mode, rather than <varies>, how about the number of albums for that Artist? Same goes for any view scheme... like Genre/Artist/Album, how about the Genre name, followed by the number of Artists, number of Albums, etc?
  • Any chance that the Display AW could have seperate settings than the main Playing Now? It would be great to have a Track Info displayed when you're in Playing Now, but then just show Images when you're not in Playing Now. Actually, it would be great if we could show both at the same time.

System Info

Media Center Registered 12.0.58 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
AMD Unknown 999 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 440 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5450.4 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive Z:   Mode:ModeSecure  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\notify.wav

Burning /  Drive Z: PIONEER  DVD-RW  DVR-109    Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Doof's List
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 06:18:16 pm »

With transparent menu's enabled, menus won't display properly when trying to pop up over a display window that's using G-Force as its display. Not sure who's bug that is.

Is there no menu, or just no transparency?  I'm guessing Windows falls down when dealing with OpenGL.

MC doesn't remember its size when returning from a non-maximized Display View

Non-maximized display view is, by design, always in the same spot and size as MC itself.  This makes a very clean look when flipping in and out of display view since nothing moves.

Whenever I go to "Add Folder To Library" it always has the folder I last added in the box. Shouldn't it clear it out from one addition to the next?

This is by design.  Settings, folder, etc. are carried over from the last use so you don't have to reset things if you always pick the same settings.  Maybe it'd be more clear to start with a blank path, but it's also more typing if you're a keyboard guy.

Occasionally when I exit, MC12 will go into "stupid mode" where it's trying to save tag changes to some file (it never tells me which one) and it can't. This wouldn't be so bad except that it never seems to give up, so I have this "Saving tag changes (1 remaining)" message on my screen forever and the only way to get out of it is to kill the MC12 process. And of course then I never get a message telling me what file it couldn't update the tag for, so I can't ever fix it.

Has this happened recently?  There was a fix a while back that could have addressed this.

The Noire Theater View skin's underpants are showing... (I'm assuming... the blue menus don't seem to really fit, so I'm assuming they're left overs from the original Hairstyle skin?

We're taking submissions for a better looking menu.

Any chance that menu transparencies could be a Skin Effects setting rather than force users to dig for and edit an XML file to change transparency settings or turn then on or off for a skin?

Probably not.  We try to make as much of the visual look of the program controlled by the skin as possible.

In a Detailed view of Albums, the total number of tracks for an album is displayed under the "Track #" field. Wouldn't it be better to have that field called "Tracks" or "# Tracks" in that view?

"Grouped" items try to map their fields as logically as possible.  Creating fields that only apply to groupings (or vice-versa) is a tricky proposition.

Any chance that the Display AW could have seperate settings than the main Playing Now? It would be great to have a Track Info displayed when you're in Playing Now, but then just show Images when you're not in Playing Now. Actually, it would be great if we could show both at the same time.

There'll only be one display.  Making visualizations pickable for each view might make sense. (like we already do for mini-view skins)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Doof's List
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 07:44:25 pm »

Is there no menu, or just no transparency?  I'm guessing Windows falls down when dealing with OpenGL.
[\quote]

The menu kind of flashes in and out. It's physically there, but very difficult to read, and thus, very difficult to select what you want. As soon as you disable transparent menus, everything is fine.

Non-maximized display view is, by design, always in the same spot and size as MC itself.  This makes a very clean look when flipping in and out of display view since nothing moves.

This is by design.  Settings, folder, etc. are carried over from the last use so you don't have to reset things if you always pick the same settings.  Maybe it'd be more clear to start with a blank path, but it's also more typing if you're a keyboard guy.

Understood. I'll remove these.

Has this happened recently?  There was a fix a while back that could have addressed this.

Not recently, but I haven't really done any tagging recently, and like I said, it's just sometimes. The problem with it is that there's no indication of what file MC is hung up on, and it never gives up. So I was never able to figure out which file(s) caused the problem and thus, what MC didn't like about them. I'll clear this one off my list as well until and unless it happens again.

We're taking submissions for a better looking menu.

Why not just make it look like the rest of the skin?

Probably not.  We try to make as much of the visual look of the program controlled by the skin as possible.

I really can't disagree with this choice more. If the goal is to make things easier for people to use, then this is a really big step in the wrong direction (especially when you couple it with the G-Force bug I mentioned above). A user not familiar with editing skins basically has two choices if they don't like the skin's transparent menu setting, either don't use that skin, or suffer through it. And especially when it comes to stock skins, where MC overwrites them with each new build. So even if you know how to edit the skin, you have to have two versions of it on your system. Skin Effects, to me, is a much more logical choice for this kind of setting than the skin's ini file. And there's even a precident in MC. Mini skins have the option to be transparent, in the General Options. :P

"Grouped" items try to map their fields as logically as possible.  Creating fields that only apply to groupings (or vice-versa) is a tricky proposition.

Understandable, but it would give MC a much more polished look, wouldn't it? ;)

There'll only be one display.  Making visualizations pickable for each view might make sense. (like we already do for mini-view skins)

Well, ok. :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up