INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't find "statistics"  (Read 3176 times)

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
Can't find "statistics"
« on: August 23, 2006, 12:20:17 pm »

Can't seem to find the "statistics" info that used to be in the Action Window. Is it gone or just moved?

Thank you.

dcwebman

Re: Can't find "statistics"
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 12:22:35 pm »

Most of it is in the Tag window of the Action Window. At the bottom should be Format. If you click on that, you'll get more detailed information. Some more is at the top to the right of the cover art. I know what you mean though, because I searched for it too when I first got MC 12. It was in a nice concise location in MC 11.
Jeff

Deivit

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 12:39:40 pm »

Yes, I actually was referring to that place where you could see the total number of albums, artists, etc.

It was also bery useful to have a list of Artist-Album in one row to exporting it to excel... I can't find it no more.

I'm gonna miss it if it's been pulled out.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 01:28:43 pm »

Or maybe they are improving it

fingers crossed

Deivit

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 02:10:10 pm »

Or maybe they are improving it

fingers crossed

Let's hope so.

By the way hit_ny, I understand that you neither can't currently see those 4 items in statistics in the Action Window, right?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 02:55:16 pm »

Have not had time to play with the latest & greatest yet.

I was going on your observation.

Deivit

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 03:00:36 pm »

Ah, Ok  :)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 03:30:30 pm »

Statistics are gone. Who knows if they'll be back or not. They were but a shadow of their former self anyway. The statistics in MJ7 were fantastic. And then over the years they were pruned and pruned until now they're just gone.

Seems like a lot of things are doing that in this version.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 04:24:29 pm »

Usability tests showed that it really doesn't belong in the tag window.

We're searching for a home, but aren't sure if anyone uses it.  The grouping details-style views are a sort of glorified statistics system, so the older system may be less necessary.

We're open to suggestions.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 04:32:06 pm »

The Start page could have a tab for various general statistic information in a graphical format.

It would finally get some useful content.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 06:21:47 pm »

Statistics are gone. Who knows if they'll be back or not. They were but a shadow of their former self anyway. The statistics in MJ7 were fantastic. And then over the years they were pruned and pruned until now they're just gone.

Seems like a lot of things are doing that in this version.

So you're not happy they're gone, but you didn't really like them anyway? 

It's like the old joke, what's the definition of mixed feelings?

When you see your mother-in-law backing off a cliff in your new car.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 06:33:27 pm »

So you're not happy they're gone, but you didn't really like them anyway? 

It's like the old joke, what's the definition of mixed feelings?

When you see your mother-in-law backing off a cliff in your new car.

Well, something's better than nothing. ;)

Although you raise a good point about the grouping details views, though. Although it's not as easy to switch between views as it was stats views.

Truth be told, I never used them. I was mostly griping about the loss of some of the Tag AW features. :P

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 01:10:43 am »

I only ever used the statistics view when forced to by those infernal "saving tags (1 remaining)" and "Done saving tags" messages in the status bar hiding the usual information displayed there. And I didn't like it :)

I turned off tag saving for everything and that took care of things for a while.

v12 has forced me to turn tag writing back on for several fields due to the importance it places on the MJMD image tag.
It's not as bad as it was, but I see the tag saving messages creeping back more and more while I'm working.

As it was, I found it useful for testing smartlist output, but not much else. Alex has an interesting idea though, don't you think? It conjured images of a last.fm style statistics page we could call on whenever we fancied.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 02:40:59 am »

I find statistics quite useful, especially with images and classical music and I liked the extensive ones of MJ7 as Doof mentioned. On the other hand they were not very flexible, but pretty standard and not configurable.

But they need not to be displayed in such a prominent way as in AW, I use them more for maintenance reasons. They could go somewhere like extra tools. But then it would be nice to have some kind of SQL interface where you can make your own selections (with some presets defined).

Examples: I would like to know how many albums I have from a specific composer, conductor, orchestra etc.

Edit: Maybe a simple "count" modifier in the search field could be a great help!

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 02:49:56 am »

Usability tests showed that it really doesn't belong in the tag window.

We're searching for a home, but aren't sure if anyone uses it.  The grouping details-style views are a sort of glorified statistics system, so the older system may be less necessary.

We're open to suggestions.
What i'm looking for is very simple, if you have 3 panes, Genres, AA, Album.

How would you know at a glance which genre had the most albums in there ?

You could click successively  on each genre and see the totals in the far right, but it becomes clear this is not the best way to do it.

See the thread i posted about getting sub-totals, i suggested the statistics window as thought it would be less computationally intensive there.  No display getting refreshed cept for the tiny columns in the statistics window itself.

In fact i recommended statistics be extended because i had no use for them in the past after playing with it a few times. Did not feel there was enough valuable information that could not be obtained elsewhere and also not very configurable at all.

Collections just keep getting bigger & bigger so I like the idea of giving it a seperate section like Jaguu says. This could then lead to generating more detailed customisable reports, an area that MC needs to work on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up