INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DO NOT INSTALL WMP 9.0 YET  (Read 908 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
DO NOT INSTALL WMP 9.0 YET
« on: September 12, 2002, 05:50:20 am »

We're investigating some problems reported by users who have tried installing Windows Media Player 9.0.  Here's a thread that has more information:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/interact/NeoBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=inter&Post=13809

At this point, it appears that the problem may be a bug in WMP 9.0.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Skinnyfatz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I would just like to say...
RE:DO NOT INSTALL WMP 9.0 YET
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2002, 01:18:27 pm »

PLEASE!!!,  Take Jims word for it, and DO NOT download WMP 9.0 yet. It is causing several problems, and not just with MJ. Although it looks very promising(not as promising as MJ), it's also still in beta. A major drawback is that you can't uninstall it, without using System Restore, to roll your system back to before you installed it. Even then, sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Also, it seems to have a BIG problem in getting along with other software, video cards, and soundcards. Virtually every newsgroup I subscribe to, has something to say about it, and only about 5% of the comments are good. However, if you feel as though you just can't get along without it, be prepared to do a lot of work to get things right again.
I've learned... You can say anything you want, but the truth in your heart, comes from your actions, not in the words from you mouth.

paul

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2002, 05:04:45 pm »

I think you can uninstall Mediaplayer 9 if you have XP SP1.  It's under add and remove programs.  There's a new function there called add/remove windows components.  There you can remove windows media player altogether.

Paul

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2002, 05:58:38 am »

This might be worth looking at first if you're thinking about installing WMP 9.  These are the negative comments at CNET.

http://download.com.com/3302-2139-10146790.html?tag=lst
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Sam.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2002, 07:32:07 am »

I completely uninstalled WMP9 and rebooted.
MJ8 continues to have problems with wma files.

Is there a reason you think the problem is WMP9 and not XP SP1?

kandarohidharmapala

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2002, 08:35:28 am »

help!
 i installed this before i saw this thread... i used to have wmp 7.1, but this has taken over!
  could any kind soul lay out for a computer idiot what a system rollback is, and how to do one? i am afraid to try a simple uninstall from add/remove programs, in case the problems get worse!
  i think i have deleted the setup for wmp 7.1... anyone know if i roll back my system would i need that, and if so, where would i get another copy?
     thanx

Konicky

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2002, 10:30:43 am »

kandarohidharmapala,
What operating system are you using ? If 98SE you can uninstall from add/remove programs and download 7.1 from Windows update.
Pages: [1]   Go Up