INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server: Using via Internet  (Read 716 times)

Eckart

Media Server: Using via Internet
« on: September 11, 2002, 11:39:00 pm »

I want to use the Media Server from my office.
When I start the Media Server at home, an internal IP-Address is automatically assigned, but not the IP-Address of my Internet-Connection. - I use DSL with a new IP-Address each time I connect to my provider. - How can I take care, that my MJ-client in my office finds my Media Server at home. Is there a trick or a special program, which put the (variable) IP-Address from my provider together with the IP-Address, the Media Server uses?

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
RE:Media Server: Using via Internet
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2002, 11:48:08 pm »

This question has been answered many times before...

One way is to use DynDNS, which posts your IP to a hostname (e.g. "eckart.dyndns.org"), that you can use to get the IP-number (ping).
The IP from your DSL-connection is assigned to your computer (in addition to your local IP), if you connect through a switch or use a direct connection (with a second ethernet card).

Should be an entry in the FAQ I think.

JimHus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2002, 12:14:32 am »

If you are using a Router (LinkSys or the like) and leave it powered on, it will usually re-lease the same IP at expiration. I'm on a dynamic IP and kept the same address for over a year.

That said, DynamicDNS is an awfully nice setup. Especially if you run it as a service to keep the IP updated.

If you are using a Router/Private IPs you will also need to enable port-forwarding to your machine. 80/81 is a bad choice because it will interfere with other machines on the network... maybe MJ should change the default?

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2002, 12:33:29 am »

If you are using a Router/Private IPs you will also need to enable port-forwarding to your machine. 80/81 is a bad choice because it will interfere with other machines on the network... maybe MJ should change the default?

I think it shouldn't because most firewalls free ports 80/81 or 8080 or similar. If MJ would use another port, everyone will be asking why the connection is not established ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up