INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing to memory card  (Read 1472 times)

Myron

• World Citizen
Syncing to memory card
« on: August 27, 2006, 10:01:54 pm »

I've got a Dell Pocket PC that I'm using as a music player.  I sync to an SD memory card via a USB adapter since going through the PPC is painfully slow.  Everything works great with one exception.  The Last Played tag is not being updated when tracks are synced.

In one of the Smartlist threads I read how people are using Last Played to create lists for their music players.  Does this only work for devices recognized as players or am I doing something wrong?  Is ther Last Played tag supposed to be updated when syncing?  If not, could there be an option to make this happen?

I've tried Manual (drag and drop) as well Sync (Playlist) Modes with the same results (running 11.1.194).

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Syncing to memory card
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 10:03:34 am »

Last played is a database field, not an ID3 tag.  Nothing normally gets updated in the file itself when it is played.  Most players use a database to track the files stored on them and their info.  This DB gets updated when the file is played, and the DB info is synced to MC when the device is synced.  If you are just syncing the files directly to flash storage and MC never 'sees' the devices actual DB info then there is no way for MC to know that this value should change.

Myron

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 12:45:33 pm »

Last played is a database field, not an ID3 tag.  Nothing normally gets updated in the file itself when it is played. 

Right, I realize that Last Played is strictly an MC database item.  Since people are using this field to create lists for syncing, I figured that MC updated it during sync just as it does during play.  Looks like this was a bad assumption.

I'm looking for a way to keep track of what songs I've synced to reduce repetition.  I still think it would be nice if MC could treat a sync just like a play and update Last Played.  Without this functionality, handheld users are missing out on some of the power of smartlists - one of the main reasons to use MC.

benvisser

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 07:01:28 am »

options/handheld/Get play stats from handheld on connect

Perhaps this well help?

Ben

Myron

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 08:24:22 am »

options/handheld/Get play stats from handheld on connect

Perhaps this well help?

Ben

Thanks, Ben, I'll have a look.

Given that I'm syncing to a memory card, I don't think the player software I'm using (Pocket Player) writes anything to the flash card.

Do you know if having this option checked with dedicated music players will update the Last Played tag in MC?

benvisser

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 09:30:18 am »

I have read this on the help topics from MC:

Statistics (iPod only)

Many iPod devices keep track of the play count of a track and allow you to rate tracks as they are played. These "play stats'  can be imported into Media Center when the device is synchronized. The play count will be added to "Number Plays" maintained by Media Center and the imported rating will override the existing "Rating" setting. To enable this feature, check “Get play stats from handheld on connect” under Advanced Options

So, I think it will only work on an Ipod

Ben
Pages: [1]   Go Up