INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Download Manager ruined my evening  (Read 1581 times)

Neil

Download Manager ruined my evening
« on: September 11, 2002, 01:26:04 pm »

version 368

I'm half way through the mammoth SP1 download when my system freezes and I have to reboot.
On restarting DM, it lists SP1 as cancelled. I right click and it gives me retry or resume options. Resume gets me 'file already exists, do I want to overwrite?', I say no and I'm left with retry which started the download from scratch !
I have another download which is like 1% from completion which is only giving me the retry option. How should I deal with this one?

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Download Manager ruined my evening
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2002, 01:35:37 pm »

Correction -- your system ruined your evening.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Nick_LeFave

• Junior Woodchuck
  • MJ is the epitome of what a media player should be!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2002, 01:42:47 pm »

This is where active pinging on port and auto redail can transform the Download Manager from a decent tool to an excellent tool. I run into these same type problems. Since I am downloading normally 3-4meg files from emusic.com, I just start again.

Also including a timer in download manager, which would gracefully stop download at specified time and hang up connection. I have tried using the media scheduler, but could not get a graceful stop and shut down.

Those matters aside, I still think Download Manager is a great tool because it supports emusic. And, I know you'll make it better because that is what you guys do!

Neil

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2002, 02:37:57 pm »

>Correction -- your system ruined your evening<

True, amusing, but not really helpful.

So bascically my other download is stuffed as well, right?

I rarely use download managers but I'd always assumed they could pick up a download which had been cut off. I mean it could still see the file, why couldn't it pick up where it left off? Is this a common thing with other DM's?

phelt

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2002, 04:40:28 pm »

Neil:
Resume needs to be supported by the server as well as the download manager. (To complicate our lives further, there's more than 1 "method" of resume.) I know that older versions of Microsoft's FTP server did not have resume support, and some servers may not have it enabled. Is this a Microsoft FTP server, perhaps?

DocLotus

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2002, 05:19:54 pm »

Downloaders... I've tried them all & find a freebe is the best one of the bunch...

Has Auto Resume, Suspend, Scheduling, multiple downloads (I do 10 at a time each with 10 paths), a History list, Proxy/Firewall control, Browser intergration, color choices, Language choice, & a lot of other neat stuff.  I keep trying others but find myself returning to Star Downloader as it is simply the MJ of downloaders.

Star Downloader at...

http://www.stardownloader.com/index.php

Try it... you'll like it!!

Neil

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2002, 05:57:31 pm »

phelt:
Don't know about the server, all I know is that I had stopped and restarted the download a couple of times already so it must be capable of being resumed.

DocLotus:
Thanks for the tip. As I say I have rarely used DM's and it was only the size of the SP1 download and the fact that I woulnd't get in one night (56k modem, can only dl 7pm to 7am) that got me thinking about it. Then I thought "hey, MJ has a DM" and off I went.
Anyway, when DM restarted the DL tonight I just left it. It is now back up to 40% and can someone tell me the best way to handle it when I disconnect tonight. Do I pause or cancel before disconnecting?

Jazzwolf

• World Citizen
  • Jazz, Classic Rock, Classic 70's NY Salsa
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2002, 07:49:59 pm »

I run into that problem a lot with MJ's Download manager so I have stopped using it. I have never run into that problem with any other download managers. I currently use MetaProducts Download Express and I am very happy with it. GetRight is also a good download manager also.
It's alright now, I learned my lesson well, you see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself - Rick Nelson

Neil

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2002, 08:23:03 pm »

I followed DocLotus' advice and got Stardownloader. For a bit of freeware it looks quite good and, according to the literature, it resumes dl's after a crash. Amazing !

Jazzwolf

• World Citizen
  • Jazz, Classic Rock, Classic 70's NY Salsa
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2002, 08:42:25 pm »

>>I followed DocLotus' advice and got Stardownloader. For a bit of freeware it looks quite good and, according to the literature, it resumes dl's after a crash. Amazing !<<

I just tried it myself, I downloaded a few mp3's and I am downloading MJ 80369 as I write this and it is pretty impressive. What I like is that it integrated into IE 6.0 and Netscape 7.0. Thanks Doc!!
It's alright now, I learned my lesson well, you see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself - Rick Nelson

Roger the Shrubber

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2002, 10:26:20 pm »

Flashget hasn't let me down yet....

http://www.amazesoft.com/

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2002, 11:01:47 pm »

I think we should focus on MJ Download Manager here, because I do like the integration into the Media Library quite much (as a subscriber to eMusic this may be obvious).

Bugs
  • resume not possible, if system crashed during download. This may be because of missing "checkpoints".
  • album picture is not imported (but I know that you guys are at it, maybe the testing program PeterS is starting will lead to correct this); even if it is I'm quite sure it's not imported in the "cover art"-directory
  • the downloadmanager is not registered as default download manager with IE, I think
  • sometimes eMusic-downloads are skipped (I think this occurs frequently if you download _very_ much songs (about 3 or 4 albums) in a queue)

Suggestions
  • download different file types to different locations (e.g. MP3 into \My Music, EXE/ZIP/ACE/etc. to \Downloads, JPG/GIF/etc. to \My Pictures and so on); please with options to change default handling
  • archive finished downloads (only information, not actual file) for later use; with option to not archive this
  • download-times (e.g. "download all of this after 11PM)
  • "shutdown/hybernate after finished downloading"

zevele1

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2002, 03:47:52 am »

I use MJ download manager only for Emusic.
    Like it,i have allways my Emusic downloads in E:\Emusic.
    Since not long i have some problem with songs not downloaded,or only a part.Most of the time ,you cannot resume or restart.Just delete and start again.I have few times the same problem with the same song.
    But i get this problems since Emusic changed few weeks ago.Can be an Emusic problem

Beside MJ DM,i use 2 more:
    Download express for regular download like the last MJ number or any program.

For other downloads,i use GetRight.
    Because with it,you can change 'the tags' of the file you download.
    You want to download mp3 from an artist site and you see 'the tags' are:RT_345_789,you can change it to :band name_song Name.
    This is a great feature ,in my opinion.

But GetRight is a download manager NOT a download accelerator.You do not get faster download.

When you download music,you have to test if the accelerator does not put artefact in the music.

With Download Accelerator,many times you get a noise after the first seconds of music.
    If you download songs from mp3.com with Download Express,the sound is terrible

I never ever throught using MJ DM as my only download manager,there is to  much features missing.Beside this i am VERY happy to have MJ DM for Emusic
    Pages: [1]   Go Up