INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IE 7 RC1 cannot connect to server  (Read 2314 times)

corkyboy1

• Recent member
  • Well hello!
IE 7 RC1 cannot connect to server
« on: September 03, 2006, 03:39:41 am »

This problem seems to have resurfaced with MC11.191 when checking for updates, anybody else experiencing this?

Colin

patricklang

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: IE 7 RC1 cannot connect to server
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 04:19:12 am »

I had this on the previous beta as well, I went back to IE6.  I'm going to try to debug it when I get the chance.
Enjoying bit-perfect audio since Media Center 10!

Current 192k setup: SB Recon3d (using hdaudio.sys) -> SPDIF -> Emotiva XDA-1 -> Rotel RX-975 -> Event 20/20 v1
Headphone setup: Meta42 amp, AKG k501, AKG k271
Portable setup: Meridian Explorer -> Etymotic ER-4P with S adapter

wilfredjg

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 05:40:48 am »

IE RC 1 messed up my anti virus software. McAfee does not recommand using IE Beta because of its Beta. Norton anti virus is the same no IE beta. I had problem connecting to AllMusic thru MC. Had to go back to IE6.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 11:28:43 am »

Use of a BETA browser only works if you are using a small number of applications where you can do your validation ahead of time. 

There are too many applications dependent on a browser today - so I gave on on using these early versions.

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 11:39:13 am »

Why does the browser even matter ?
There's no requirement for internet access to need any kind of browser - and from my experience it's not a lot harder to write your own code for downloading etc
Reusing a specific application to do the work for you is an easy way to get bitten on the ass when things change
Winsock (and Winsock2) does all the things you need - it's what's used by windows and IE after all

The only thing I can think of is proxy servers - using IE to do the work for you means that you don't need to do the work yourself (or get people to configure things)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 11:57:37 am »

Why does the browser even matter ?
There's no requirement for internet access to need any kind of browser - and from my experience it's not a lot harder to write your own code for downloading etc
Reusing a specific application to do the work for you is an easy way to get bitten on the ass when things change
Winsock (and Winsock2) does all the things you need - it's what's used by windows and IE after all

The only thing I can think of is proxy servers - using IE to do the work for you means that you don't need to do the work yourself (or get people to configure things)

I agree, but software developers leverage other standard technology components where they can.  This trend will increase, not decrease.  This let’s them focus on the unique bit they are trying to create.  They do not need to re-invent the wheel as a pre-requisite for the invention part.

That being said – because so many software developers use browser stuff – or depend on browser features – it makes me stay away from BETA versions (at least until they get into the final pre-release phase.

dlone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 12:27:59 pm »

Yeah - I reuse all the stuff I can  ;D
But just for downloading ?
It's easy enough that I can do it and I just program as a hobby  ;D

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!